The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the medicine made up of glucosamine & Chondroitin?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline leojoshrun

• First timers
    • View Profile
I am surprised of the fact that people asks about Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Does these substance creates any side effects. How the medicines made by these two substances creates side effects.

Lets find it out!

Leo

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I've been taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin off and on for a while. 

The primary reason is that on a couple of occasions, I've experienced mild swelling in the knees, as well as a mild back ache. 

It is difficult to judge the efficacy of the meds.  My knees have felt better, but I have also changed a few other aspects with my life.  Likewise, back pain can get better and worse depending on circumstances. 

I don't believe I've experienced any side effects that can be specifically attributed to glucosamine and chondroitin.  Mayo Clinic does list a number of potential side effects associated with glucosamine.

Some side effects such as a potential interaction with Diabetes is concerning.  Cataracts?

If many people take Glucosamine and Calcium supplements together, one might be tempted to associate constipation with the Glucosamine, when it may in fact be related to the Calcium, or even an interaction between the two.

This, of course, is also the risk of anecdotal inquiries.  To tease out slight differences, one must use large placebo controlled studies...  most of which show little or no benefit to glucosamine and chondroitin. 

What about chronic use?  A few months, years, decades?  Chronic use could be associated with potential benefits, but could also be associated with serious side-effects.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums