The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can we make an effective HIV vaccine?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How can we make an effective HIV vaccine?
« on: 13/01/2013 12:29:24 »
New insights into the mechanism behind a promising HIV vaccine could point drug development in the right direction for a more effective, and much needed, vaccine, according to research published in the journal Immunity.

Read the whole story on our website by clicking here

« Last Edit: 13/01/2013 12:29:24 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How can we make an effective HIV vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2013 21:43:21 »

However, if a vaccine is 50% effective, then what will be the effect on 2nd generation infections?

Vaccinate 100% of the people.

50% of the "at risk" people get infected, but also carry the antibodies from the vaccination. 

Now, assume these individuals that both carry the vaccine antibodies, and were infected manage to pass on the disease to another group of vaccinated individuals. 

What will be this second generation infection rate?  Higher?

Would one end up building a complex mix of strain-specific vaccines like is done with pneumococcus?  Perhaps with annual updates like is done with the flu, except that one would need to be vaccinated for all strains, not just the strain of the year.
« Last Edit: 13/01/2013 21:45:14 by CliffordK »

« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2013 08:14:44 »

I recently watched  this documentary and it states how HIV may in fact not be causing AIDS, now I know that it goes against main stream science but they make a very good point and I would like a second opinion from someone that knows a bit more about this topic

Donít crucify me before watching it, I try and take everything into account and so far this film makes sense

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2013 08:14:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums