The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Aren't Lakes just big puddles ?  (Read 10678 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Aren't Lakes just big puddles ?
« on: 28/06/2006 20:43:38 »
Gentleman and ladies and Trannies :D (well, I don't want to be seen to be being prejudiced)

Lakes are great...big ones ...small ones...salty and fresh !

But why don't they 1: evaporate away and 2: just soak in away into the soil ?

I think I can make an educated guess about no 2 , what with water tables and the soil having reached it's maximum absorption etc..but failing underground streams/rivers maintaining the capacity of the lakes...then why don't they just eventually evaporate away...or do they ?

Thanks

neil
xxxxx

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

Re: Aren't Lakes just big puddles ?
« Reply #1 on: 28/06/2006 21:04:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Gentleman and ladies and Trannies :D (well, I don't want to be seen to be being prejudiced)

I think I can make an educated guess about no 2 , what with water tables and the soil having reached it's maximum absorption etc..but failing underground streams/rivers maintaining the capacity of the lakes...then why don't they just eventually evaporate away...or do they ?

It rather depends upon the lake.

The Dead Sea just evaporates away – that is how it gets to be so salty – the water evaporates off, leaving the salt behind.  Lake Constance is on the river Rhine, and so has an outflow as well as in inflow.  The Black Sea is an interesting mix, since it has an outflow through the Bosphorus, but the Bosphorus is shallower than the black sea, and so it only empties the upper layers of the Black Sea, leaving the lower layers still, toxic, and sterile.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/06/2006 21:14:09 »
Thanks George....Gosh you know stuff !

But what about lakes with no obvious inlet and outlet ?...any ideas ?..pensées?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/06/2006 23:00:31 »
I suspect that the ones with no visible means of filling are there for one of two reasons: 1. They are seasonal, (Okavango Delta) or 2. they are spring fed. (many examples)

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 28/06/2006 21:04:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

It rather depends upon the lake.

The Dead Sea just evaporates away – that is how it gets to be so salty – the water evaporates off, leaving the salt behind.  Lake Constance is on the river Rhine, and so has an outflow as well as in inflow.  The Black Sea is an interesting mix, since it has an outflow through the Bosphorus, but the Bosphorus is shallower than the black sea, and so it only empties the upper layers of the Black Sea, leaving the lower layers still, toxic, and sterile.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/06/2006 21:14:09 »
Thanks George....Gosh you know stuff !

But what about lakes with no obvious inlet and outlet ?...any ideas ?..pensées?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/06/2006 23:00:31 »
I suspect that the ones with no visible means of filling are there for one of two reasons: 1. They are seasonal, (Okavango Delta) or 2. they are spring fed. (many examples)

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: 08/07/2006 00:56:16 »
The only real difference between lakes and seas, and puddles is that being much deeper than a puddle (the rate of evaporation/soakage mostly being dependent on the area not the volume of puddle), it takes much longer for them to either evaporate or soak away (you normally find them in areas where the rocks are fairly waterproof - one of the reasons you don't get lakes on chalk), in fact so long that it rains again before they are empty hence they don't dry up.

There are seasonal lakes in arid regions - they are pretty much just like big puddles.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/07/2006 18:05:21 »
Saying go jump in a puddle just doesn't do for me. It’s not like saying jump in the lake or go jump in the sea. On the other hand I don’t like jump in the Ocean much. In that case Oceans and puddles have something in common besides being wet. Of course little kids love puddles much more then their bath or lakes for that matter. I have to go now as two nice gentlemen with a jacket without sleeves are braking down the wards supervisor’s door. I probably should say  ……………………………… [^]

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline Monox D. I-Fly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/09/2016 04:04:36 »
Reading the thread title, I remembered when I learned that the Japanese word for "lake" is "mizuumi" which is ironic since its literal meaning is "sea of water". A sea is larger than a lake and made of water.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 01/09/2016 04:04:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums