The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can vitamins help stop obsessive behavior?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline jensayer

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can vitamins help stop obsessive behavior?
« on: 24/01/2013 21:38:59 »
Okay, I'm just going to say it... I'm a little neurotic. I tend to obsess over food and it's a problem. Does anyone know if vitamins or herbs would really help? A friend suggested liquid minerals, another suggested st. john's wort. Is anyone familiar with NSO Vitamin Company? They claim to have a "recovery" product that helps with anxiety and obsessive behavior. Any suggestions would be very appreciated! I stumbled on the Naked Science Forum and thought, who better to ask, right?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can vitamins help stop obsessive behavior?
« Reply #1 on: 25/01/2013 00:23:40 »
Various antidepressant medications have been used to treat OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder).  The theory is that OCD may be related to serotonin. 

Since tryptophan is a serotonin precursor, some people have suggested that a diet rich in tryptophan may help with OCD, but I believe the data is scarce.

However...  does this relate to food disorders?  I don't know.  It would certainly depend on your issues.

Personally, I find that I tend to gain weight in the winter, and loose weight in the summer (with casual dieting). 

One of the reasons I can loose weight in the summer is that 90% of my food comes from my garden, so I have a vegetable-rich diet.  And, a more active lifestyle than in the winter.

I have also looked for foods that are filling, satiating, and tend to not cause weight gain.  I have found that I can eat all the raw, or slightly cooked blackberries that I can possibly eat, and still loose weight.  Perhaps also other fruits such as prunes or plums.

Offline jensayer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/01/2013 16:38:12 »
I can really get into the idea of obsessing over fresh fruit! Typically it's a pasta sauce that I am trying to make "perfect" so I make it three or four (or 8) days in a row. This in addition to the meals I make and eat with my family. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/01/2013 18:35:56 »
The links between behaviour and food are not well researched and unfortunately in the West we have a tendency to poo-poo the idea that food can be linked to mental and physical health.  Its becoming more mainstream and acceptable now though.

In my experience a good start for any-one is to cut sugar out of the diet as completely as possible-this means fruit juices as well because they are concentrated sugar and it is always best to eat the fruit whole so you get the right amount of fruit fibres with the fructose.  It means you need to check any processed food you may be buying too because you'd be amazed at the amount of sugar put in things that shouldn't have sugar in - meat pies, prepared veg etc..  Breakfast cereals promoted as healthy usually have a lot of sugar in them too-some of them as much as 40g per 100g.

Its quite a hard thing to do really in this Western sugar/grain focused diet that has become the norm.  The human digestive system does not cope well with the volume of sugars and grains we consume and is being seen to be the cause of a lot of metabolic disorders such as type 2 diabetes.

Milk is also a good one to cut out-it has a thickening effect on mucous which promotes good bacteria to try and balance things out again which in turn accumulate to cause more problems.  The inflammation this causes affects the nervous system too.

If you are really brave you could try ditching all grains too - although this requires a lot of effort and a retraining of the palate if you are used to a Westernised diet.

I must point out here I am not a qualified nutritionist or medically qualified in any way but I have had to follow a ketogenic diet due to health reasons and I have found that cutting out the things above have had the most beneficial effect on my health.  These benefits are not specific to me though, this is a diet that is specific to providing the correct nutrients for the organism you are rather than being concerned about weight loss.

Also, lemon balm has a calming effect on the nervous system and you can buy it as a tea or the plant itself is very easy to grow and also smells great in the spring.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/01/2013 18:39:24 »
If anyone would like any references for anything above I will be happy to provide them.  I only haven't put them in now because I was typing as I was waiting for dinner to cook and had to be quick.   :D

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/01/2013 18:46:37 »
So, is the problem over-eating?  Or too much work trying to make the perfect meal?

Can you use your family as human guinea pigs?  It may help to discuss at the dinner table what you like or dislike with the pasta sauce.  That might also make it impractical to make identical meals several days in a row.  Just make sure you take good notes about your experiments for next time.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 25/01/2013 18:46:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length