The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Plate techtonics.......on the moon?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Plate techtonics.......on the moon?
« on: 29/06/2006 15:15:54 »
the moon was once apart of the earth. so could it be that the moon has also plate techtonics??[?]

NEVER! underestimate youth

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Plate techtonics.......on the moon?
« Reply #1 on: 29/06/2006 15:41:07 »
Hi Tony,

I think if the moon had any plate tectonics that they are long gone by now. However, this topic has come up a few times before so perhaps a more academic answer will ensue...(tsk...proves how much I learned last time eh ? :))..but as far as I know...the moon is just one big lump of solid rock...though there maybe some activity in the middle....but it is far and wide unlike the Earth in it's internal engine !..though I understand it does have a weak magnetic field !!

Presumably the moon comprises of part Earth and part what ever it was that hit us in the first place..

...wait for some academic answers...:)

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 29/06/2006 15:41:42 by neilep »

ROBERT

« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2006 16:40:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Hi Tony,

but as far as I know...the moon is just one big lump of solid rock...though there maybe some activity in the middle....but it is far and wide unlike the Earth in it's internal engine !..though I understand it does have a weak magnetic field !!

I believe that the moon has a very small iron core, hence the weak magnetic field.

Definitely no plate tectonics Tony:-

" Seismic activity on the Moon is very low, basically insignificant. Due to the lack of plate tectonics, Lunar seismic activity is about a 100 millionth of Earth's, or ~2 x 1010 J/yr (excluding impacts). In eight years of monitoring, a large-but-rare moonquake has not been recorded, but it is possible to have up to 1 x 1014 J/yr if such events were recorded. The largest recorded seismic activities are approximately equivalent to a 4 on the richter scale, with 1-2 being typical.

The lunar seismic activity is usually caused from tidal forces and secondary effects from impacts. Secondary effects includes fresh crater ejecta cracking due to thermal stresses and disruption of slopes with high angles of repose. Other, non-seismic activity includes astronaut activity and impacts (both meteorite and artificial)."
http://www.asi.org/adb/m/03/07/seismic-activity.html
« Last Edit: 29/06/2006 16:44:26 by ROBERT »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: 29/06/2006 17:57:16 »
The moon is mostly made up of continental type light rocks, and a small core. Part of the reason that the earth has plate tectonics is that there isn't really enough of the lighter rocks (granite etc) to cover the whole surface very well, so you get areas of denser mantle type rocks (the oceans), because these are the same stuff as the mantle. When they get cold, they will sink, dragging the plate behind them around. So the ocean's crusts moving are actually are part of a convection current. The contients are jsut light scum that is floating around on the surface.

Ignoring the fact that the moon being small cooled down a while ago, it has the opposite properties, a very thick layer of light rocks on some heavier ones, no matter how cold the light ones get they will never sink -> no covection current -> no plate tectonics.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #4 on: 30/06/2006 10:25:02 »
Observations of the moon's gravitational field show it to have mass concentrations suggesting that it is not fully mixed and differentiated like the earth ie it is half way between  the rockpiles that many minor planets and smller moons are made off and a fully differentiated and plate tectonic planet like the earth  The earth appears to be lucky because plate tectonics allows the release of internasl heat in a more controlled way. mars and venus do not appear to have this and probably release energy with periods of very violent activity and long quiet periods.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/06/2006 12:54:02 »
Tony...you may also be interetsted in this question I posed a couple of years ago !!..

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1346

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/06/2006 15:25:27 »
thx guys(

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29/06/2006 15:41:07 »
Hi Tony,

I think if the moon had any plate tectonics that they are long gone by now. However, this topic has come up a few times before so perhaps a more academic answer will ensue...(tsk...proves how much I learned last time eh ? :))..but as far as I know...the moon is just one big lump of solid rock...though there maybe some activity in the middle....but it is far and wide unlike the Earth in it's internal engine !..though I understand it does have a weak magnetic field !!

Presumably the moon comprises of part Earth and part what ever it was that hit us in the first place..

...wait for some academic answers...:)

« Last Edit: 29/06/2006 15:41:42 by neilep »

ROBERT

« Reply #8 on: 29/06/2006 16:40:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Hi Tony,

but as far as I know...the moon is just one big lump of solid rock...though there maybe some activity in the middle....but it is far and wide unlike the Earth in it's internal engine !..though I understand it does have a weak magnetic field !!

I believe that the moon has a very small iron core, hence the weak magnetic field.

Definitely no plate tectonics Tony:-

" Seismic activity on the Moon is very low, basically insignificant. Due to the lack of plate tectonics, Lunar seismic activity is about a 100 millionth of Earth's, or ~2 x 1010 J/yr (excluding impacts). In eight years of monitoring, a large-but-rare moonquake has not been recorded, but it is possible to have up to 1 x 1014 J/yr if such events were recorded. The largest recorded seismic activities are approximately equivalent to a 4 on the richter scale, with 1-2 being typical.

The lunar seismic activity is usually caused from tidal forces and secondary effects from impacts. Secondary effects includes fresh crater ejecta cracking due to thermal stresses and disruption of slopes with high angles of repose. Other, non-seismic activity includes astronaut activity and impacts (both meteorite and artificial)."
http://www.asi.org/adb/m/03/07/seismic-activity.html
« Last Edit: 29/06/2006 16:44:26 by ROBERT »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: 29/06/2006 17:57:16 »
The moon is mostly made up of continental type light rocks, and a small core. Part of the reason that the earth has plate tectonics is that there isn't really enough of the lighter rocks (granite etc) to cover the whole surface very well, so you get areas of denser mantle type rocks (the oceans), because these are the same stuff as the mantle. When they get cold, they will sink, dragging the plate behind them around. So the ocean's crusts moving are actually are part of a convection current. The contients are jsut light scum that is floating around on the surface.

Ignoring the fact that the moon being small cooled down a while ago, it has the opposite properties, a very thick layer of light rocks on some heavier ones, no matter how cold the light ones get they will never sink -> no covection current -> no plate tectonics.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #10 on: 30/06/2006 10:25:02 »
Observations of the moon's gravitational field show it to have mass concentrations suggesting that it is not fully mixed and differentiated like the earth ie it is half way between  the rockpiles that many minor planets and smller moons are made off and a fully differentiated and plate tectonic planet like the earth  The earth appears to be lucky because plate tectonics allows the release of internasl heat in a more controlled way. mars and venus do not appear to have this and probably release energy with periods of very violent activity and long quiet periods.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30/06/2006 12:54:02 »
Tony...you may also be interetsted in this question I posed a couple of years ago !!..

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1346

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30/06/2006 15:25:27 »
thx guys(

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 30/06/2006 15:25:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums