The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Schwarzschild solution  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Nieuwenhove

• View Profile
    • http://http://home.online.no/~avannieu/darkmatter/
Schwarzschild solution
« on: 29/06/2006 18:20:30 »
In every derivation of the Schwarzschild solution I found, at some point the "weak-field" approximation is made. Nevertheless, the same solution is used to describe black holes, down to r=0. At very small distances, the weak field approximation clearly must break down, so what justifies the use of the Schwarzschild solution in this case ?
I would be glad if someone could help me.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Schwarzschild solution
« Reply #1 on: 30/06/2006 10:32:46 »
I am sorry but no one can help you at the moment because that would require a quantum theory of gravity.  There are lots of theories going around like strings superstrings and loop quantum gravity but no one has a satifactory solution yet.

One thing that I would add is that I believe that the mathematical singularity is a silly idea and should never be used because it only applies to objects with zero angular momentum and it is just about impossible for any massive object to be out together without any residual angular momentum and the only sensible sort of black hole to study is the rotating one.  This is a much more complex thing so most popular writers prefer to avoid it in favour of the "gee whiz" bits about mathematical singularities.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 30/06/2006 10:32:46 »
I am sorry but no one can help you at the moment because that would require a quantum theory of gravity.  There are lots of theories going around like strings superstrings and loop quantum gravity but no one has a satifactory solution yet.

One thing that I would add is that I believe that the mathematical singularity is a silly idea and should never be used because it only applies to objects with zero angular momentum and it is just about impossible for any massive object to be out together without any residual angular momentum and the only sensible sort of black hole to study is the rotating one.  This is a much more complex thing so most popular writers prefer to avoid it in favour of the "gee whiz" bits about mathematical singularities.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 30/06/2006 10:32:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length