The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Watherballoon To The Stratosphere  (Read 2453 times)

Offline NSP

• First timers
    • View Profile
Watherballoon To The Stratosphere
« on: 09/02/2013 14:53:30 »
Hi everyone, the project I am thinking of conducting has most guaranteed been discussed here before, but I still ask.
I am thinking of sending a videocamera up to the stratosphere(Is it possible to go any higher with weatherballoons?)
I will do so with the use of a weatherballoon. So I ask the community, have any of you conducted something like this before?
What should I think of before doing it, what do i need etc. Feel free to answer. And also I'm just in the beginning of planning my project so every help I could get would
be appreciated.
Thank you very much.

-Chris

Offline RE.Craig

• View Profile
Re: Watherballoon To The Stratosphere
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2013 18:29:29 »
A weather balloon would go higher with only a phone attached, but the chances of recovering your phone would be negligible as weather balloons travel considerable distances; usually hundreds of miles. You could however make a device to burst the balloon at the apex / zenith [which of those two are correct?]of it's flight. Perhaps a solenoid with a pin attached that you could trigger with the ring tone of your phone! I have seen weather balloons with instruments advertised for sale in the UK at a site called "John Bull" or something like that. Good luck with your project.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Watherballoon To The Stratosphere
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2013 18:29:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length