The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could the weird shiny thing be part of a spacecraft?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline krool1969

• View Profile
I'm just hearing about the "weird shiny thing on Mars" and so I looked up a picture. I'm wondering if it could be part of a spacecraft? NASA, ESA, the Russians and the Soviets have sent many probes to Mars, many of witch failed. There MUST be refined metal scattered around the surface of Mars.

I do agree that when we do learn what it is it will likely be boring. But how cool would it be to find a bit of refined metal on Mars?

Offline RE.Craig

• View Profile
Re: Could the weird shiny thing be part of a spacecraft?
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2013 15:40:02 »
I'm just hearing about the "weird shiny thing on Mars" and so I looked up a picture. I'm wondering if it could be part of a spacecraft? NASA, ESA, the Russians and the Soviets have sent many probes to Mars, many of witch failed. There MUST be refined metal scattered around the surface of Mars.

I do agree that when we do learn what it is it will likely be boring. But how cool would it be to find a bit of refined metal on Mars?
I just took a look at the"weird shiny thing" on the net, and yes; it does indeed seem to be "a weird shiny thing!!!". If it is part of a space craft it's likely to have come from one off the Curiosity rovers own  descent stages.
The explosive bolts from the heat shield or part of the shield itself. Explosive bolts from the parachute shroud or again part of the shroud,the chute also had explosive bolts and clamps. The ingenious sky crane also had numerous explosive bolts and clamps. The fact that the "shiny weird thing" is so close to the landing site would leave me to believe that it is a part related to one of the descent stages probably the crane.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2013 16:28:18 »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2013 18:28:59 »
Curiosity is named after one of the basic human instincts to explore.

I would hope that NASA would actually at least try to get additional close-up (not digitally zoomed) images of the protuberance, and perhaps from different angles, if not actually sending the rover over to explore it.

I agree that it doesn't look like a piece of metal sitting on a rock (angle, balance, and color is off), or embedded on a rock, so that would leave it as being part of the rock as the most likely alternative. 

In the one frame, I don't see any other rocks like it, although I haven't reviewed other photos of the Curiosity landing site.

Perhaps it is a mineral vein in the rock, which certainly would be interesting, and worth evaluating, even if it is inorganic.

Offline Spacetectonics

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2013 18:08:17 »
Fair enough! after curiosity lunched and me reviewing previous images ,I have found a flag,and a head on the mars surface!!
Will be happy if some one tell me how to upload those pictures in here!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2013 18:08:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length