The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Complications with da vinci robot  (Read 3359 times)

Offline 90cheers81

• First timers
    • View Profile
Complications with da vinci robot
« on: 13/02/2013 21:27:43 »
Surgeons are unaware of the complications that occur during surgery. Hence, a lot of patients were discharged right after their Da Vinci surgical procedures, not knowing that a complication had occurred. As such, increasing number of patients pile up for 'da vinci surgical robots' to claim for their losses. <almost spam as an art-form! - Mod>
« Last Edit: 14/02/2013 00:49:58 by peppercorn »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
Re: Complications with da vinci robot
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2013 21:33:36 »
Though it looks like spam, let's take the opportunity to enlighten folks into what daVinci is all about. Other robots may be available... though Intuitive Surgical (who make daVinci) have tended to buy most of them up!

Basically daVinci is a surgical robot - the robot 'holds' and moves a number of keyhole-surgery tools (possibly up to 6?). The tools will include tweezers and cutting/gripping tools and at least one camera. A surgeon sits (usually in the same room) and operates the robot by means of a control console. In principle it could be operated remotely, but I think this is rarely, if ever, done.
The robot allows potentially more ergonomically-friendly position for the surgeon, and allows very fine positional control - the robot can scale down large-scale movements of the surgeon's hands to very small, delicate motions of the tools within the patient. There's some youtube demonstration/example videos showing the robot being used to peel a grape, and by a Japanese surgeon to make a tiny origami swan smaller than a cent coin.
In principle, the robot can also filter out any surgeon hand-tremor too.

In the USA apparently such robots are fairly widespread, being funded out of private health-insurance. I'm told they even have lots of TV advertisements for having surgical procedures done with the robot (such advertising seems unthinkable in the UK!). To my knowledge, here in the UK, we only have one or two daVinci robots (including one at Addenbrookes in Cambridge). As far as I know, NICE (which oversees some NHS funding decisions) is yet to be convinced that such robots really represent value for money. It's struggling to prove that clinical outcomes are significantly different either way from more conventional keyhole surgery. Of course this may in time change...

I'm not sure whether daVinci does it yet, but an interesting development is so-called 'beating heart surgery' where are heart is operated on without stopping it. Computer controlled tools can be made to track the movement of the heart automatically while it is beating, so the surgeon only has to make movements (at the console) relative to the beating heart. This makes possible procedures that you couldn't otherwise do without stopping the heart.
« Last Edit: 14/02/2013 21:37:59 by techmind »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Complications with da vinci robot
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2013 21:33:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums