The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Irony  (Read 3089 times)

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Irony
« on: 16/02/2013 22:09:52 »
When I joined these forums a year or two ago, I chose the name Damocles. The sword that I could see poised over my head, and indeed all of our heads, was carbon dioxide build up in the atmosphere. If the most likely consequence of this -- global warming -- does not eventuate, there will be some other equally drastic one. One cannot change natural systems as much as we have changed the CO2 levels without causing trouble.

But it turns out there was another sword poised over my personal head. Following an episode where I lost the ability to communicate, the medicos found a brain tumour. I start radiotherapy on Tuesday, with the prospect of about 6 months to 5 years to live! So I have been absent from the forums during a stay in hospital, and will probably be absent from now on. Farewell all! It has been good to know you and to cross swords with you in debate.

I am about to find out whether my religious faith has been misplaced or not, but unfortunately I will not be able to report back.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Irony
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2013 23:11:21 »
Damocles,

I am very sorry to hear the news.  Some of the brain tumors can be very aggressive, especially if non-operable, and unfortunately it is impossible to do wide surgical margins.

I hope the time you have left is fulfilling.

Offline Lab Rat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/03/2013 16:56:42 »
I'm sorry to hear that, Damocles.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 15/03/2013 17:12:15 »
Sorry to learn of your situation.

Make good decisions based on your doctor's prognosis and make the most of whatever time you have.

Even as an atheist, I would still say, keep your faith, it may bring you comfort when times are dark. May your God be with you.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2013 19:39:57 »
Stay positive and aim for those five years. Lance Armstrong looked doomed, but luck went his way, though part of that was down to his determination to survive and his understanding that the closer the treatment came to killing him, the better the chance that he would survive. He chose the path that took him closest to the edge and it paid off.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/03/2013 09:31:54 »
Oh dear, so very, very sorry. We will all miss you.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #6 on: 16/03/2013 09:55:38 »
I'd like to add that your clearly excellent understanding and communication of science and technology will also be greatly missed...  But mainly I just want to reiterate all the good wishes that have been shared above; may you find solace and support in your friends and family.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/03/2013 23:15:27 »
Damocles / Doctor John,

Very sad news - I would echo all the sentiments above.  I really enjoyed your posts here and answers at Madsci.org.  Thank you on behalf of all the hundreds of questioners you have helped over the last 15-20 years. 

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/04/2013 17:04:02 »
We all will follow Damocles, sooner or later, it's life. I'm very sorry that it had to come so soon for you, but I will not agree on you stop writing here. You're one of those level headed guys (and gals:) this site needs. And I expect at least five more years of level headed comments from you, no less..

It's a pleasure knowing you exist.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/04/2013 15:24:18 »
Just saw this post--

Sorry to hear the news Damocles.  You've been an excellent communicator of science and we appreciate what you've done here. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 11/04/2013 15:24:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums