The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Fat or not Fat that is the question!  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Fat or not Fat that is the question!
« on: 03/07/2006 22:42:38 »
CHICAGO -- Is it OK for doctors and parents to tell children and teens they're fat? That seems to be at the heart of a debate over whether to replace the fuzzy language favored by the U.S. government with the painful truth - telling kids if they're obese or overweight.

What do you think about this?

More on the this story
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_Diet_Obese_or_Not.html

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

another_someone

Re: Fat or not Fat that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2006 23:43:18 »
I don't believe that trying to obscure a point with vague or 'politically correct' language actually serves any useful purpose – if anything, it gives the very impression that you are supposedly trying to avoid, that this is something to be ashamed of – if you need not be ashamed of it, then why avoid talking about it?

I don't really like the term 'obese' – it is too clinical.  The simple 'overweight' is sufficiently descriptive (o.k., I suppose that using words like 'obese' gives it a greater medical authority – but is that medical authority really useful in helping a person understand the situation they are in, or is it there merely to inhibit the patient from being able to challenge dical doctrine?).

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/07/2006 23:15:02 »
I have to agree in general with you George. The term Fat is thought by most to insulting and demeaning. On the other hand in our house I called “fatty baldylocks” by my son. It makes me laugh even though I am lousing my hair and have a roundness to me that I can’t refute. (I working on that) but I am aware that to most people who are overweight the term fat in not welcome. I hate to see it being given licences. I have seen at first hand how some people verbally attack people with weight problems. It is the ugly side of human behaviour. If this was to set a trend I feel that it would only make for more suffering not less.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2006 23:52:39 »
I fully understand the implications behind the offense caused to overweight people when they are called fat !!..at the same time..why is it hurting ?..after all...they ARE fat !!....what else are they if not fat ?....overweight ?...well yes..but this does not necessarily imply ' fatness '.  I am one of those sad people who according to my GP is actually clinically obese....Now, one might imagine that I look like the Michelin Man !...but in fact...I just have a high (too high) proportion of fat...my BMI (Body Mass Index) indicates this but to look at me...one would see what I would call ' cuddly ' around the tummy....So, here we have yet another ambiguous use of another word ' obese ' where one would expect someone to be really really big with blubber and stuff  !!

Sometimes the cold hard reality of what a person is , is what it takes to get the message across. I said 'sometimes' because I do understand that teenagers who are fat may react terribly to this cold hard reality.

Maybe ' size ' should not be mentioned at all and that the reason given for a change of diet be swayed towrads the health benefits rather than the need to lose weight.

It's a tricky one. I think each case should be dealt with on it's own merits as to the type of language used with the patient...I know for me..at the ripe old age of ....'Old Enough'....to be told I am fat would be a bloody good kick up my fat arse !!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/07/2006 08:33:20 »
Well I know I am fat, but kids don't always differentiate between being called a name and being told they are overweight! I have always felt that being told you were fat was an adults way of calling one names and it is uncalled for. People know when they have weight issues they don't need to be called fat or fatty! You can't chant obesey obesey can't fit through a kitchen door! No the term fat or fatty is more in my eyes a way to ridicule someone who has a weight problem. Children can be so cruel and also are very sensitive to your chioce of language and you must not make it an issue of abnormalty. Emphasise be a model of health choices remove vending machines of junk and provide healthy foods instead! You don't have to emphasise the obvious, there are enough eating disorders out there without putting more pressure on children at such an early age. If you feed your children healthy food from the start and show them good food choices and they see you making them then things will get better. Be a role model for them to look to.  Don't say one thing and do another. My parents made all the junk to accessible along with the good food.  I have small 3 year olds in my class at schoo who have said to me teacher, I don't like my but, its too big!  And then there are those who are bigger kids who say teacher he said I am fat and it hurts my feelings. Yes it may be true, but it crushes a child. They are not equipted to say oh this is not an attack it if for my health. And with other children and some adults this is a form of put down.  a negative description of how you look, when you already look at yourself with enough negativity without any help from someone else who feels they have to tell you! Don't mind me I'm just the really fat girl on the block! No Offence taken here, but unless you have had this problem in a big way like me its hard to understand what I am trying to say!
 Neil is right, Size should not be mentioned at all children are very keenly aware of size differences and pick up on those things just fine. Please! Hasn't there been enough labeling in this world already? ....Karen

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 05/07/2006 23:48:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
 Neil is right, Size should not be mentioned at all children are very keenly aware of size differences and pick up on those things just fine. Please! Hasn't there been enough labeling in this world already?

I think the matter is far more complicated than that.

I agree that I don't like labelling, but I have nothing against descriptions.  I know it is a difficult line to draw between the two, but there is a difference.  If you say a girl is blonde, are you labelling her or describing her?  If you say a girl has blonde hair, it is clear that this is a description and not a label.  To some extent, I would say that the same difference exists between saying someone is large, or that they are overweight (which to me are physical descriptions), and saying they are fat or obese (which to my mind are labels).  But the trouble is that with words, that which is on paper does not tell you the whole story, since the intonation with which a word is used can totally change its meaning.  Is the word or phrase used with an accusatory tone, or with an impersonal and detached voice.  Even the most innocent of remarks, if made with an accusatory tone, can become insulting.  This is why simply using a dictionary to list which words may or may not be used will never really get to the root of the problem of inappropriate language use.

On the other hand, simply saying that certain topics are taboo creates its own problems.  If you say that some aspect of a person cannot be mentioned in polite society, you are in effect saying that this thing is something to be so ashamed of that it may not be spoken of.  This too serves no-one any good.  One must find ways of talking about things which are non-accusatory, but equally that are not tinged with embarrassment or shame.

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/07/2006 06:50:45 »
:DGeorge I fully agree with you , and you say it with such eloquence that I am amazed. That is very true and more in lines of what I was trying to get at, It doesn't have to be taboo, but there must be some nicer or better way to get the point across without the rotten overtones that can be implied by those who really use descriptive words to hurt or guilt those people who they are intended for.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2006 06:58:55 by Karen W. »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #7 on: 06/07/2006 13:09:03 »
I just heard a child of 8 years old tell her mom she needs to lose 6lbs...???  The mom said, yes honey, I know and we will work on your diet!!!  Is that not ridiculous???

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Grecian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/07/2006 13:21:16 »

I totally agree, the mother should have been controlling

what she ate years ago !!

Love you lots.

Helena   xxx

Offline tootsie78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/07/2006 16:10:25 »
It is just such a common thing now for little girls to want to diet...where do you think they get it from????  From watching too much TV & seeing too many super skinny actresses & models & wanting to be just like them!  It's not uncommon for 6 yr old girls now to be anorexic!  It's pathetic!!!

*Joy*

Offline Grecian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/07/2006 16:59:45 »

Joy,

I guess you're right, but perhaps it depends on whether she's a chubby girl wanting to lose 6 lbs, or a normal one influenced by the TV and those ads.

In either case the mother shouldn't have used those words.

Love you lots

Helena   xxx

Offline tootsie78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08/07/2006 19:31:04 »
You're right!  The mother shouldn't have!!!

*Joy*

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 08/07/2006 19:31:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums