The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Easysuite file transfers  (Read 9168 times)

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
Easysuite file transfers
« on: 23/02/2013 20:31:24 »
I have been trying to transfer files from my dads old computer to his new one using easysuite but the screen only displays the local host. I cant find any sort of help on the internet either and I know it works because it works on my two laptops.  At a loss-has anyone got any suggestions?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Easysuite file transfers
« Reply #1 on: 23/02/2013 20:45:30 »
If they are both windows computers there is a free program from Microsoft for transferring data from one computer to another ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_transfer

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2013 21:12:32 »
You can set up user accounts and share directories between the two, assuming both computers are networked, but it could be a bit of a pain if you aren't familiar with the system.

Another method that I have done is to physically temporarily mount the old hard drive in the new computer, or to use a USB to IDE or SATA adapter to connect the old hard drive to the computer.

It is not a bad idea to either keep the old hard drive as a backup, or wipe the drive using some kind of a wipedisk utility, randomly writing data to the entire drive before recycling.
« Last Edit: 23/02/2013 21:14:33 by CliffordK »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/02/2013 23:29:53 »
I have been trying to transfer files from my dads old computer to his new one using easysuite but the screen only displays the local host. I cant find any sort of help on the internet either and I know it works because it works on my two laptops.  At a loss-has anyone got any suggestions?

Just a thought, some of your family's computers may be 32-bit others may be 64-bit, "easy transfer" from 64-bit machine to a 32-bit machine isn't possible ... 

Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista but you plan to install a 32-bit version of Windows 7, you can move your files to an external location manually or use Backup and Restore in Windows Vista ...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions
« Last Edit: 23/02/2013 23:31:35 by RD »

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/02/2013 08:49:34 »
Thanks-yep 64 to 32.......  oh well!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/02/2013 10:40:07 »
You can still transfer the data via an intermediate external drive, (i.e. external hard-drive or USB memory stick "thumb drive"). Transfer the data from the old computer to the external drive, disconnect the external drive from the old computer and attach it to the new computer to transfer the data.

This will take more time than "easy" transfer, but has the advantage that you create a back-up copy of the data on the old computer on an external drive.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 24/02/2013 10:40:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums