The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can animals enjoy music?  (Read 3944 times)

Offline cbas

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can animals enjoy music?
« on: 02/03/2013 17:47:07 »
When I leave home, I tend to leave the radio on at low volume for my dogs, but do they benefit from it?
Are animals with semi high intelligence able to understand the moods and patterns in music, or is it just noise to them?

Well at any rate, it drowns out ambient environment sounds that might trigger a barking concert ;)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Can animals enjoy music?
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2013 18:47:23 »
Dairy farmers have been playing music to thier cows for some time now. Some say it helps keep the animal happy and results in more milk, provided it is the right music. The wrong music can have the opposite effect.

Birds know one song from another, so why shouldn't they be able to listen to human music and know if they like it or not?

Yes, I think animals can enjoy music, though the wrong music or wrong note can upset them.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2013 16:40:13 »
When my partner plays his guitar my cats come to listen and Millie sits as close as possible to his right and will lean on the end of the guitar if she can. 

And they can certainly distinguish music because my parents old dog would rush in from wherever he was when Coronation St music came on so he could bark at the cat in the opening credits-to the extent that my mum used to mute the tv until it had started.

I would think if anything puts animals off music it would be the volume we play music at.  But in my experience they definitely respond to it - whether that's the same as enjoyment is something else I guess.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/03/2013 21:33:16 »
The only animal I've ever seen really grooving or moving to the beat of music are parrots. I don't know if the were trained it was spontaneous.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2013 21:26:27 »
As far as I am aware, no music has ever been produced (or enjoyed) by vegetables or minerals. (Though it could explain a lot...)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2013 16:47:46 »
As far as I am aware, no music has ever been produced (or enjoyed) by vegetables or minerals. (Though it could explain a lot...)

You've never seen Jedward then....

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2013 19:34:42 »
Have they become involved in music?
That's news to me, though I can't say I have been following their exploits very carefully.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2013 19:34:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums