The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?  (Read 56460 times)

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
Re: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?
« Reply #150 on: 08/06/2014 03:48:18 »
Have I heard of Godwins Law? Yes.

I'm not playing the "Hitler card" here or trying to equate anyone with "Nazi's" to "posion the well." 

It just happens to be an amazing quote. Here is the important part of the quote.....

"Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation."

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 08/06/2014 04:01:46 »

Click Image to Play

Its called Cognitive Dissonance. R.D.,

Cognitive dissonance is the excessive mental stress and discomfort experienced by an individual who  is confronted by new information that conflicts with with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.

« Last Edit: 08/06/2014 04:05:55 by KubricksOdyssey »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 08/06/2014 05:01:13 »
Hey KubricksOdyssey (nice to meet you)....

So I've been looking at this now for a while. There are certainly some very curious aspects to it. This has undoubtedly been discussed extensively but I have a few questions for anyone who can provide me with the currently accepted explanation. I'll start with a question about the sun. Maybe if Dr. Calverd stumbles accross this thread he could help.

While looking into it, I came across research by one Jack White, a seemingly credible professional/expert photographer. His observation that the sun is too large by eight or nine diameters is odd enough by itself....

…. but the computer analysis he did that accompanies it showing an easily recognizable high intensity light bulb as the actual light source....

….really got my attention.

Is there some currently accepted logical explanation that debunks his observation and analysis? 
« Last Edit: 08/06/2014 05:06:34 by Aemilius »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 08/06/2014 05:36:48 »

Below is a gif animation of the frames at 2:14 & 2:23 of the YouTube above ( 5oIzBUMVT7o ) showing the background moving behind the "large rock",  (due to parallax),  contrary to what is written on the YouTube screen : "[the large rock] does not hide things behind it at all ..." 

« Last Edit: 08/06/2014 05:58:38 by RD »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 08/06/2014 05:53:04 »
Jack White, a seemingly credible professional/expert photographer ...
Is there some currently accepted logical explanation that debunks his observation and analysis?

Lens flare . e.g. ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

[ BTW it's worth mentioning old-Jack claimed the Zapruder film was also faked :
paranoid conspiracy-theorists rarely confine themselves to one conspiracy ].
« Last Edit: 08/06/2014 06:22:42 by RD »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 08/06/2014 07:15:02 »
Thanks RD.... And the computer analysis?

What's your opinion about that RD?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 08/06/2014 08:02:49 »
Thanks RD.... And the computer analysis?

What's your opinion about that RD?

It looks like a pineapple.
If the green bit is supposed to be the bulb (screw?) fitting, that would be behind the bulb, rather than to one side , so not visible when looking at a spot-lamp reflector head-on.

The outer ring and diagonal features are lens flare , e.g. ...

If the outer-circle was a spot-lamp-reflector, part of it would be blocked by the space-craft which is between the camera and the alleged spotlight.
It's a complete circle, so it's not the rim of a spot-lamp-reflector.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2014 09:00:16 by RD »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 08/06/2014 10:06:03 »
So, your opinion RD is that lens flare accounts for the Sun appearing almost ten times larger than it should and that the result of rhe computer analysis resembles a pineapple.... and we mustn't forget to mention the Kennedy assasination! Is this what passes for critical thinking these days?

Doesn't look like a pineapple to me....

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 08/06/2014 16:30:00 »
No amount of evidence or refutation , (six pages of it in this thread) , will alter the views of conspiracy theorists : they are delusional and not susceptible to reason.

The ones that believe in multiple large-scale conspiracies are clearly suffering from a degree of paranoid psychosis : everywhere they look they believe hundreds of people are conspiring against them.

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 09/06/2014 01:59:13 »
Quote from: RD link=topic=47147.msg436491#msg436491
If the green bit is supposed to be the bulb (screw?) fitting, that would be behind the bulb, rather than to one side, so not visible when looking at a spot-lamp reflector head-on.

No, it's very common for high intensity discharge and other bulbs (both single and double ended) to be mounted that way (below), so your assertion above about all lamp fittings/sockets being invariably hidden behind the bulb when looking at the reflector head on is easily proven false and lends no credibility to your explanation.... 

Moving on, it's the image below that was examined....

….not the image below that you posted from Wikipedia. That's not the photograph that was examined and so is useless for the purpose of answering the questions I posed about the abnormally large size of the Sun as photographed from the lunar surface and the computer analysis of it....

The computer analysis is of the solid white circular portion of the photograph I posted that's supposed to represent the Sun itself, and nobody said anything about the outer ring of the lense flare being the outer edge of a reflector. This effectively renders your assertion about the outer ring of the lense flare (in a different photograph) showing up between the LEM and the camera being proof it couldn't be an artificial light source meaningless.

BTW  it's worth mentioning old-Jack White claimed the Zapruder film was also faked....

Bringing up JFK to discredit Jack White? Go ahead.... it doesn't change the information conveyed by the photograph showing the Sun as being abnormally large or the computer analysis showing anomolous solar characteristics.... it contributes nothing to your explanation.

….paranoid conspiracy theorists rarely confine themselves to one conspiacy.

Implying that anyone who asks questions is a paranoid conspiracy theorist? Go ahead.... I'm just asking straightforward science questions.   

No amount of evidence or refutation , (six pages of it in this thread) , will alter the views of conspiracy theorists : they are delusional and not susceptible to reason.

The ones that believe in multiple large-scale conspiracies are clearly suffering from a degree of paranoid psychosis : everywhere they look they believe hundreds of people are conspiring against them.

So, I don't know about the rest of the thread, but at least when it comes to this exchange between us about these two particular questions (the abnormal size of the Sun and the computer analysis), your “explanation” provably consists of nothing more than false, useless, meaningless assumptive assertions and conclusions arrived at through misinterpreted data from a photograph that's not even under consideration, all highlighted by a bunch of infantile stereotyping nonsense generally directed at anyone who asks questions.

In view of the above it can't by any definition be called an explanation because you didn't answer, prove, refute or provide evidence of anything. Maybe someone else (Are you there Dr. Calverd?) can provide me with a more coherent explanation without all the disturbing derisive nonsense, misinterpretation and inaccuracy.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2014 02:36:54 by Aemilius »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 11/06/2014 03:50:26 »
A flare spot can make the diameter of the sun appear to be bigger ...

diagonal flare spots can make the sun look like a light-bulb if contrast is increased ...

« Last Edit: 11/06/2014 04:03:57 by RD »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 11/06/2014 13:27:51 »
….increasing contrast causes sun to become to become the diameter of flare spot.

Remarkable RD the way you were able to create the solid white effect above, filling in the lense flare and turning it completely white. You're right, it looks just like the abnormally large Sun in the photograph I posted below. Unfortunately, it's provably of absolutely no use in explaining the abnormal size of the Sun in the photograph I posted (the one you seem unable to directly address). You see, the difference between the effect you were able to achieve above by manipulating that photograph from Wikipedia and the photograph I posted below (AS12-46-6765) is that the photograph I posted below showing the Sun almost ten times larger than it should be was not manipulated or altered to fill in the lens flare and turn it completely white, it is verifiably an authentic un-altered photograph of the Sun as seen and photographed by the Apollo astronauts from the lunar surface....

Even this old eighth grade dropout knows that it's patently absurd to think for a moment that the ability to create an altered photograph that makes the Sun appear abnormally large could somehow explain the Sun appearing abnormally large in an un-altered photograph. It's literally worthless for the purpose of answering the question I posed about the abnormal size of the Sun in the un-altered photograph (AS12-46-6765) I posted.... by that line of reasoning this element of your explanation is logically rejected.   

….flare spots look like neck of light bulb when contrast increased.

Very creative the way you darkened the image to isolate that part of the lens flare, it really does look like a light bulb! Again though, unfortunately, it's provably of absolutely no use in explaining the anomolous appearance of the solar disk itself in the enhancement of the photograph I posted. Upon closer examination, unlike the “light bulb/pineapple” that appears across the entirety of the solar disk,  the flare spots making up the neck of your “light bulb” are clearly recognizable as just that.... flare spots. Everyone has seen computer enhanced/filtered images of the Sun. I've seen hundreds like those below on the left and I've never seen anything even remotely similar to the stunningly anomolous appearance of the solar disk as revealed by the enhanced image of it from the photograph taken by the astronauts on the lunar surface I posted. In fact, its appearance is so outrageously incongruous with what we know of the Sun the adjective “anomolous” is laughably insufficient to describe it! 

For a second time now RD I've clearly shown that all the assertions that make up your "explanations" lack any merit. In view of the above, what your saying can't be called an explanation of any kind because, just as before, you haven't actually answered anything, proved anything, refuted anything or provided any intelligible explanation.... of anything. That, along with the fact that you could actually commit such an enormous analytical blunder as believing that a created anomoly in an altered photograph could possibly be used to explain a genuine anomoly in an un-altered photograph has your credibility plummeting in my opinion.

Thanks again though for sharing your opinion. Why not have those cuts and bruises seen to.... I'll just sit here in my corner and have a martini while I wait for the next round!
« Last Edit: 11/06/2014 15:09:56 by Aemilius »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 11/06/2014 21:13:39 »
... I'll just sit here in my corner and have a martini while I wait for the next round!

Don't you know alcohol causes brain-damage ?.

There is a sequence of images from AS12-46-6761 to AS12-46-6769 which include the sun and lens-flare.

Either the "anomalous" phenomenon is lens-flare , or they must have changed the shape of the bulb between consecutive exposures.

Put down that martini , you don't have the IQ points to spare.

High-contrast  AS12-46-6765 + blue dot the size of the sun.

Also see the example below where the direct image of the sun appears twice the diameter it should because of flare and overexposure, (the ghost images of the partial-eclipse are actual size)  ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare#Gallery
« Last Edit: 11/06/2014 21:47:31 by RD »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 12/06/2014 20:56:07 »
First you tried to assert that it coudn't be an artificial light source because if it were, the apparent fitting/socket for the bulb would be located at the back and would invariably be hidden by the bulb when looking at any reflector head on.... I showed why that assertion was based on an eroneous observation by pointing out that it's common to mount the fitting/socket for high intensity and other bulbs (both single and double ended) that way through the side and across the reflector rather than from the back.   

Next, using an un-altered photograph of the LEM you tried to assert that it couldn't be an artificial light source because if the outer ring of the lense flare was the outer edge of the reflector, the fact that it shows up between the LEM and the camera proved it wasn't a reflector since part of it would be hidden behind the LEM.... I showed how that assertion was based on an eroneous observation by pointing out that in the computer enhanced portion of the photograph I posted it was the outer edge of the solar disk itself that appeared to be the outer edge of a reflector and not the outer ring of the lense flare.

Then you tried to assert that since the completely white portion of the unaltered photograph I posted could be created by altering the contrast to fill the outer ring, turning it completely white in a different photograph, that it wasn't really an anomoly.... I showed how that assertion was based on an eroneous observation by pointing out that the ability to create an altered photograph that makes the Sun appear abnormally large cannot be used to explain the Sun appearing abnormally large in an un-altered photograph.

Using contrast again to alter the photograph of the LEM, you created the appearance of a light bulb by darkening it to obscure the outer ring and parts of the area around the diagonal lense flare to create what appears to be the neck of a light bulb.... Just as before though with your third explantion, the ability to create an altered photograph that makes a light bulb appear does nothing to explain why the Sun appears abnormally large in an un-altered photograph.

Now, it's back to using more contrast again to alter the enhanced portion of the photograph I posted, highlighting one of the dimmer off center flare spots (blue) and declaring it to be the size of the Sun, even though by far the brightest area and obvious source of light in the image remains at the center of the outer ring despite your manipulation. 

My impression is that you seem far more interested in trying to create convincing evidence through manipulation of the image rather than reveal it and, interestingly, you never stop once to defend an assertion you've made that I've refuted, you just move on to try and make another new assertion. In light of that, I just don't see any of these provenly failed attempts to explain either the anomolous solar chacteristics or the abnormal size of the Sun as being at all compelling or substantial when it comes to explaining anything or answering the questions I posed.

That's fine though RD, and thanks, I have your opinion now.... and you now have my assessment of your opinion.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2014 22:22:23 by Aemilius »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 12/06/2014 22:51:50 »
Now, it's back to using more contrast again to alter the enhanced portion of the photograph I posted, highlighting one of the dimmer off center flare spots (blue) and declaring it to be the size of the Sun, even though by far the brightest area and obvious source of light in the image remains at the center of the outer ring despite your manipulation.

#1 the blue disk I've added is the size of the sun, ( the diagonal of the full frame of  AS12-46-6765 is 55o, the angular diameter of the sun is 0.5o ). 

#2 the flare spot which matches the size of the sun is a ghost-image, like those of the partial eclipse below , the ghost images are much fainter than other areas but are an accurate representation of the size and shape of the light-source (the sun).

If you studied the sequence of NASA images as I suggested above, (reply#163) , you will see that the alleged anomaly changes in shape on each frame so cannot be the outline of a light-bulb, unless they used a different shaped light bulb on each frame.
« Last Edit: 13/06/2014 00:08:00 by RD »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 13/06/2014 10:26:53 »
Thanks RD, but I think I've had about enough of your brand of "explanation" for now.... talk to you later.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 13/06/2014 19:20:57 »
Looks like lens flare to me... the problem with 'computer analysis' is the the results will vary depending on the algorithms used, and unless you know what you're doing (and are familiar with photographic artefacts), you'll just end up enhancing the artefacts. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) as we used to say.

I saw a good video recently by a guy who worked with film and video in the 60's and 70's, explaining how, given the video & film technology available at the time, it wasn't possible to fake the moving images NASA broadcast live, even if they'd had access to secret facilities 10x better than what was available to studios & research labs. It's astonishing just how primitive video was in those days, and converting that much continuous footage from 35mm film just wasn't feasible. He wryly said he didn't know for sure if man had been to the moon, but he did know they couldn't have faked the broadcasts ;) I'll see if I can find it and post it here, when I get home.

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 14/06/2014 00:49:38 »
Hey diorde (nice to meet you)....

Quote from: diorde
Looks like lens flare to me... the problem with 'computer analysis' is the results will vary depending on the algorithms used, and unless you know what you're doing (and are familiar with photographic artefacts), you'll just end up enhancing the artefacts. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) as we used to say.

Well, it doesn't look like lense flare to me, but I definitely get what you're saying about computer analysis. I know this was touched on earlier but I do have another question about the crosshairs in Apollo lunar photography if someone would care to take a shot at it. First, a little foundation....

The cameras the astronauts were equipped with were fitted with a glass plate that had black crosshairs precision etched onto it. When the astronauts took a photograph, the crosshairs naturally cast their shadow on the film and the shape of those shadows literally become part of the image.

In an earlier post by RD, he used an image of the Apollo 14 LEM on the lunar surface in an attempt to try and support his (provenly eroneous) explanation of the two questions I had earlier about the sun. When I took a closer look at it though, I noticed that the reticles are not only distorted but are actually hovering just above the surface of the image and casting a shadow down onto the image below in a manner indentical in every way to what one would expect to see if a printed transparency of the reticles had been carelessly placed on top of the image that was not kept in direct contact with the image surface.

So the question is....

How could the reticles (which are literally part of the image surface) in this authentic un-altered NASA photograph of the Apollo 14 LEM taken on the Moon have managed to somehow levitate themselves above the surface of the image in such a way that they were able to cast shadows back down onto the very image surface they are part of?

« Last Edit: 14/06/2014 01:56:02 by Aemilius »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 14/06/2014 02:55:05 »
How could the reticles (which are literally part of the image surface) in this authentic un-altered NASA photograph of the Apollo 14 LEM taken on the Moon have managed to somehow levitate themselves above the surface of the image in such a way that they were able to cast shadows back down onto the very image surface they are part of?

The additional distorted (curved) crosses only occur on the brightly-lit  flare-spot : the crosses elsewhere in the frame are not duplicated in this way.

A reflection of the brightly-lit "fiducials" by the curved rear element of the lens is a possible explanation for the additional distorted (curved) crosses ... 

[ Similar to pincushion distortion ].
« Last Edit: 14/06/2014 03:51:43 by RD »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 14/06/2014 13:28:29 »
Hey RD....

Quote from: RD
The additional distorted (curved) crosses only occur on the brightly-lit flare-spot : the crosses elsewhere in the frame are not duplicated in this way.

The additional distorted reticles (or crosshairs) framed by the lense flare also just happen to be in the upper left hand corner of the full image of AS14-66-9306 too, and their misalignment is entirely consistent with the corner of a carelessly placed transparency having lifted up and away from the image surface in the photograph below....

A reflection of the brightly-lit "fiducials" by the curved rear element of the lens is a possible explanation for the additional distorted (curved) crosses ...

Sorry RD, it's really not a possible explanation. In the full image of AS14-66-9305 (the preceeding photograph in the series), one can clearly see reticles in the lense flare, the brightly lit areas, the dimmer mid-range areas and even the dark areas. There's no reticular distortion or evidence of your theory of a “curved rear element of the lense” creating any kind of lense flare induced ghost reticle pin cushion effect in the region around the Sun in the photograph below....

Since the conditions under which both photographs (AS14-66-9305 and AS14-66-9306) were taken were the same, if there was anything to this notion of lense flare induced ghost reticle pin cushion effect it would have distorted the reticles in the same way and in the same region around the lense flare in both photographs, not just one.

The pin cushion effect is caused by lenses and invariably affects the image not selectively but as a whole, and lense flare from a bright light source can create ghost images of the light source and decrease image contrast.... they are two entirely different effects resulting from two entirely different causes.

There is no such thing as lense flare induced pin cushion effect in photography or optics. Nice try though.... very imaginative!
« Last Edit: 15/06/2014 01:57:07 by Aemilius »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 15/06/2014 01:58:06 »
... The pin cushion effect is caused by lenses and invariably affects the image not selectively but as a whole

I said "Similar to pincushion distortion".  I wasn't suggesting it was a lensing effect. I said "reflection" from the curved rear lens element : a lens surface can act like a curved mirror.

I did point out in "Reply #169" that the additional crosses only occur on the bright flare spot,  so not a lensing effect which would occur elsewhere on the image.

To repeatedly interpret physical phenomena you don't comprehend as evidence of fraud is evidence of paranoia. Attempting to reason with a paranoid person is an exercise in futility.
« Last Edit: 15/06/2014 02:02:05 by RD »

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 15/06/2014 19:57:21 »
I said "Similar to pincushion distortion". I wasn't suggesting it was a lensing effect. I said "reflection" from the curved rear lens element : a lens surface can act like a curved mirror.

Have it your way then.... similar to pincushion distortion. Whatever you were suggesting, it doesn't change the fact that your credulity straining “possible explanation” involving some heretofore unknown optical effect is not an explanation at all, it's just an unsupported theory because you've provided no links, articles or precedent setting examples that could elevate it above that lowly designation.   

I did point out in "Reply #169" that the additional crosses only occur on the bright flare spot, so not a lensing effect which would occur elsewhere on the image.

Whatever you pointed out, it doesn't change the fact that in two consecutive photographs of the LEM (AS14-66-9305 and AS14-66-9306), which were both taken under the same conditions, this novel lense flare induced ghost reticle pincushion-like effect would have occurred in the same way and in the same region around the lense flare in both photographs, not just one.

To repeatedly interpret physical phenomena you don't comprehend as evidence of fraud is evidence of paranoia. Attempting to reason with a paranoid person is an exercise in futility.

The fact of the matter is that whether you like it or not, the photograph showing the misaligned and distorted hovering reticles and the shadows they cast (AS14-66-9306) is absolutely consistent with the corner of a carelessly placed transparency having lifted up and away from the image surface....

....and I can prove it. It took about three minutes to accurately replicate the conditions that can result in the appearance of this form of defect in a graphic image....

In order to show my assertion to be an eroneous interpretation of the photographic evidence you'll have to come up with a more plausible alternative interpretation of it than an unsupported theory about some mysterious unknown lense flare induced ghost reticle pincushion-like effect. You simply haven't done that at all, not even close, and my refusal to immediately buy in to your narrative has you again resorting to malicious insinuations.

It's all fine though RD.... I've clearly refuted every eroneous “explanation” you've come up with along with all the assertions you made to support them and not once did you try to defend any of them.
« Last Edit: 16/06/2014 20:48:51 by Aemilius »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 19/06/2014 00:31:57 »
Here's that video I promised about the video technology of the late 1960's:

Moon Landings Faked? Film maker says not!

Offline Weber

• First timers
  • Room 237 Admin Block. Pinewood Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 21/06/2014 09:49:03 »
... Surely it must be a simple task to find just ONE photo without the terrain line? Just ONE? How hard can it be to find just ONE?

It was quite easy : it only took a few minutes to find three ,
 ( presumably faked by some other method by some other Hollywood type , Walt Disney maybe ?)

Like I said if you ask me politely  , ( that means saying "please" ), and promise never to post in this forum again,
I will post the pictures here and give links to the NASA webpages where I found them.

PS
the " Scotchlite" screen technique you've mentioned here can only be placed a couple of meters behind the actor , (see newbielink:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law [nonactive] for the reason why)   ...

newbielink:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_projection_effect [nonactive]

So if you're trying to use Scotchlite-screen to explain things [images] which are tens of meters in front of the camera it's simply not physically possible.

[ To fake distant backgrounds Hollywood used to use something called " newbielink:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_painting [nonactive]" ]
As I understand, the distant backgrounds where projected onto a huge dome shaped screen, with the astronauts on a stage set in front of it, and then they used a fisheye camera lens to get the projected fake distant backgrounds right, that's why the shadows in the foreground (on the stage set) are so distorted, like this

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 21/06/2014 10:14:45 »
.. the shadows in the foreground (on the stage set) are so distorted, like this

shadows appearing to converge are normal, not evidence of fakery, see ...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Moon_landing_hoax#Shadows

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #174 on: 21/06/2014 10:14:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length