The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?  (Read 56497 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?
« Reply #75 on: 14/11/2013 16:06:25 »
Have you seen this video....

Apollo 11's Strange Docking

Re:
[1:00 to 1:20 ]

You do realize that is a highly speeded up footage, [time-lapse photography ] ,
in reality (in real-time) what appear to be sudden rapid jerky movements on that video would have been much slower.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 16:12:54 by RD »

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 14/11/2013 16:10:51 »
One would think a 2.2 billion dollar budget could purchase a safer heat resistant silicon or high temperature epoxy to hold critical life sustaining insulation panels instead of scotch tape.

Where is your source that "scotch tape" was the only adhesive used in the construction of the craft ?.

Don't misquote me. I never used the word "only".

However the way the tape is oddly and haphazardly applied suggests it is being used to assist in a fix of some type of insulation panel failure.

The real reason is however is Apollo LEM 11 we see in the NASA photographs never left earth, hence their arrogant and brazen disregard for safety.

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 14/11/2013 16:13:38 »
Have you seen this video....

You do realize that is a highly speeded up footage, in reality what appear to be sudden rapid jerky movements on that video would have been much slower.

No, its not "highly speeded up" one bit. You made that up.

Its stock NASA footage that anyone can find in Apollo 11 documentaries such as Moonwalk One released in 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonwalk_One

Moonwalk One on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-cyoqKjpQ
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 16:23:23 by KubricksOdyssey »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 14/11/2013 16:29:06 »
One would think a 2.2 billion dollar budget could purchase a safer heat resistant silicon or high temperature epoxy to hold critical life sustaining insulation panels instead of scotch tape.

Where is your source that "scotch tape" was the only adhesive used in the construction of the craft ?.

Don't misquote me. I never used the word "only". 

You implied that other adhesives, e.g. “epoxy”, were not used.

The real reason is however is Apollo LEM 11 we see in the NASA photographs never left earth, hence their arrogant and brazen disregard for safety.

You're now accusing NASA of "arrogant and brazen disregard for safety", if your belief is true, that the LEM did not leave Earth, then there was no risk to safety : according to you it never left the ground so it wouldn't matter how poorly it was constructed.

[ I keep forgetting I'm talking to an insane person , I need to stop doing that ]

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 14/11/2013 16:31:06 »

Its stock NASA footage that anyone can find in Apollo 11 documentaries such as Moonwalk One released in 1970.

It is quite reasonable that NASA speeded-up the footage: it would be tedious to watch in real-time, ( it would take hours).

[ on the same YouTube there is another NASA docking where you can see the reflection of an astronaut in a window whose movements are speeded-up ...
to 4m10s ]
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 17:00:52 by RD »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 14/11/2013 17:25:44 »
There is a minority of people who think it may have been done with a scale model.

Apollo 11 ascent and rendezvous video from 1969 is quite bizarre if one hasn't seen it lately...

The docking footage is speeded-up, (time lapse photography), hence the jerky movements.
On the same YouTube there is another NASA docking where you can see the reflection of an astronaut in a window whose movements are highly speeded-up ...
to 4m10s

I did mention the docking footage was speeded-up in another thread where KubricksOdyssey falsely accused me of dishonesty : they said I "made that up". [Isn't an apology in order ?].
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 17:48:44 by RD »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 14/11/2013 17:57:17 »

It is quite reasonable that NASA speeded-up the footage: it would be tedious to watch in real-time, ( it would take hours).
Yup, much of the orbital maneuvering footage for popular consumption is time-lapse, otherwise it can be really boring. A few years ago, I went to the Science Museum in London, where they had a room set aside for a couple of weeks, showing film excerpts from all the manned space flights, and from cameras not normally shown. When I got there, they were showing some of the Gemini flights and space walks, in real-time; amazing, hypnotic stuff, and it all looked like slow-motion. I spent 45 mins in there watching one of the EVAs when they were trying out moving around using handrails - incredibly slow and difficult.

Having just come back from seeing 'Gravity' today, the contrast was striking - amazing though the zero-g scenes were, they mostly looked way too fast, especially the EVA scenes. But naturally they had to sacrifice realism in several areas in order to make an exciting film.

You should be able to find the real time taken for each Apollo 11 maneuver by checking the NASA logs and transcripts - for example, immediately after the trans-lunar injection burn, it took about 12.5 minutes after the separation of the command service module (CSM) from the launch adapter to turn it around and dock it with the lunar module (LEM). See EP-72 Log of Apollo 11 for the overview, and the Air-to-Ground Tech. Transcript for the detail (pages 18-19). You should be able to find all the relevant transcript timings for the other LEM maneuvers in lunar orbit (although I don't think they had the camera on for the Apollo 11 LEM undocking).

For this purpose, it doesn't matter whether you think it was all faked or not - it simply makes it clear that much of the film footage is time-lapsed relative to the event sequences.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 18:30:39 by dlorde »

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 14/11/2013 18:07:39 »

Nope, Look how SLOWLY the Apollo 11 LEM rotation is for docking. A 4th grader can see its in REAL TIME.

Apollo 12 clip immediately after is in REAL TIME and wasnt speeded up "to save time" either.

It is was clearly made with some type of hollywood effect.The question then becomes why is NASA releasing fake footage attempting to pass it off as real?

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 14/11/2013 18:13:53 »
Here is Apollo 11 LEM speeded up to save time.

Note how it was filmed in either front or rear screen projection....this special effect was also seen in Dr. Strangelove B-52 scenes...

« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 18:22:44 by KubricksOdyssey »

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 14/11/2013 18:21:29 »

Yup, much of the orbital maneuvering footage for popular consumption is time-lapse, otherwise it can be really boring.

Watch the "swinging antenna arm" in Apollo 12 clip immediately after Apollo 11.

The "swinging antenna arm" wouldnt be moving in a slow fluid motion if the video speed was tampered with.

Both clips were presented as "real time" by NASA in 1970. One only sees a short clip, not a sped up clip.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 18:26:13 by KubricksOdyssey »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 14/11/2013 18:25:24 »
You should be able to find the real time taken for each Apollo 11 maneuver by checking the NASA logs and transcripts ...

Quote from: nasa.gov
As the ascent stage reached apolune at 125 hours, 19 minutes, the reaction control system, or RCS, fired so as to nearly circularize the Eagle orbit at about 56 miles, some 13 miles below and slightly behind Columbia. Subsequent firings of the LM RCS changed the orbit to 57 by 72 miles. Docking with Columbia occurred on the CSM's 27th revolution at 128 hours, three minutes into the mission. Armstrong and Aldrin returned to the CSM with Collins.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/missions/apollo11.html

128-125= 3 hours , I'm not sure for how long of those 3 hours "Eagle" would have been visible to "Columbia" as it approached, ( from how many miles can you see something the size of a camper-van without atmosphere impeding visibility ? ).
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 18:29:12 by RD »

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 14/11/2013 18:30:23 »
RD you seem clearly disturbed by this fake Apollo 11 docking model.

If you find out this clip is in REAL TIME what will your next excuse and apologetic be?

That strong resistance from Moons upper atnosphere aided by lunar cross winds caused the jerky movements? lol

:)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 14/11/2013 18:44:45 »
Here is Apollo 11 LEM speeded up to save time.

Note how it was filmed in either front or rear screen projection...

#1. Make your mind up which projection method was used to fake the footage.

#2. Provide evidence to prove that was the case.

otherwise please don't bother us (or anyone else) with this drivel ever again.

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 14/11/2013 19:00:40 »

#1. Make your mind up which projection method was used to fake the footage.

A special effects expert would be able to tell. It looks like it could be either in this case.

Here is the Apollo 17 rendezvous at same speed, nothing sped up.

Notice the moon in the background is passing by at the same speed as Apollo 11 moon....

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 14/11/2013 19:05:30 »
Watch the "swinging antenna arm" in Apollo 12 clip immediately after Apollo 11.

The "swinging antenna arm" wouldnt be moving in a slow fluid motion if the video speed was tampered with.

Both clips were presented as "real time" by NASA in 1970. One only sees a short clip, not a sped up clip.
To me it looks like the Apollo 12 clip is real time - all the movement and moon going past in the background looks slower than the Apollo 11 clip - but it's hard to say, the camera angle looks slightly different. I don't see what the problem is with the movement - the thrusters were powerful and precise and the LEM was a very low-mass vehicle. The high-gain antenna in the Apollo 12 clip wasn't 'dangling' as the video suggested, it had a springy gimballed mounting, and looked like it was being stowed prior to docking.

But hey, if you want to believe it was all some global conspiracy, knock yourself out (why didn't the Russians spoil the party?)

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 14/11/2013 19:14:08 »
To me it looks like the Apollo 12 clip is real time - all the movement and moon going past in the background looks slower than the Apollo 11 clip - but it's hard to say.

If any time lapse is present, It would be very easy to prove with a simple experiment.

Locate all 6 of the Apollo mission LEM rendezvous clips on Youtube, tile the windows and play them simultaneously in comparison.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 19:16:43 by KubricksOdyssey »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 14/11/2013 19:49:49 »
If any time lapse is present, It would be very easy to prove with a simple experiment.

Locate all 6 of the Apollo mission LEM rendezvous clips on Youtube, tile the windows and play them simultaneously in comparison.
Why would I? - whether there's lime-lapse or not in those clips, I don't see the problem.

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 14/11/2013 20:04:43 »

Why would I? - whether there's lime-lapse or not in those clips, I don't see the problem.

RD sees a problem, I'm waiting to hear his explanation why a real time clip is jerky and looks like a time lapse clip.

RD's claim of edited time-lapse would also show a moon spinning as fast as a basketball.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 14/11/2013 20:06:40 »
There is a minority of people who think it may have been done with a scale model.

Apollo 11 ascent and rendezvous video from 1969 is quite bizarre if one hasn't seen it lately...

Here's a link to stock footage of docking on Apollo 12 ...

Apollo 12 / NASA / Lunar Module / 1969 ... http://footage.framepool.com/en/play/789153847

again the reflection of the astronaut in the window shows the docking footage has been speeded-up , (by NASA).

Still think the Apollo 11 rendezvous YouTube video is in real-time ?
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 20:28:36 by RD »

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 14/11/2013 21:16:42 »

Here's a link to stock footage of docking on Apollo 12 ...

Apollo 12 / NASA / Lunar Module / 1969 ... http://footage.framepool.com/en/play/789153847

again the reflection of the astronaut in the window shows the docking footage has been speeded-up , (by NASA).

Still think the Apollo 11 rendezvous YouTube video is in real-time ?

Thats the same Apollo 12 clip I posted. Has the same swinging antenna arm. I played both the Youtube version and Framepool side by side and they are identical speeds.

Framepool also has the Apollo 11 strange docking footage and playing them side by side, yes it is at different speeds, a bit slower but not by a whole lot, I wouldnt consider anything "highly speeded" up.

One can still see all the same goofy jerky unnatural fake movements at any speed it is played.

Shutterstock has the same copy as Youtube http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-3936131-stock-footage--s-apollo-eagle-spacecraft-docks-with-columbia.html?src=search/bxY8at6yb2YWN1_oej-vAQ:1:1

Play it at 5% or 500% Apollo 11 docking footage is FAKE

If you want to see what a REAL Apollo docking looks like, here is Apollo-Soyuz 1975....

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-3903479-stock-footage--s-the-apollo-soyuz-mission-of-docking-maneuver.html

« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 21:31:57 by KubricksOdyssey »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 14/11/2013 22:08:40 »
Framepool also has the Apollo 11 strange docking footage and playing them side by side, yes it is at different speeds …

A glimmer of sanity ? :  you now acknowledge the Apollo docking footage is speeded-up, and you’re now going to apologise to me for falsely accusing me of mendacity when I told you the footage was time-lapse ?.

One can still see all the same goofy jerky unnatural fake movements at any speed it is played.

Oh dear the madness returns :( . If slowed-down any motion, no matter how jerky, becomes smooth and fluid , e.g. a punch to the head …

So to say One can still see all the same goofy jerky unnatural fake movements at any speed it is played is nonsense : if it was slowed down to the correct speed the jerkiness would disappear.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2013 22:25:05 by RD »

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 15/11/2013 02:37:41 »
you now acknowledge the Apollo docking footage is speeded-up, and you’re now going to apologise to me?

We'll call that one a draw......since you still cannot see the obvious fakery and your tendency toward ad-hominen.

Let me say I do appreciate the feedback  from everyone so far on items I am presenting.

Offline KubricksOdyssey

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 15/11/2013 02:50:45 »
More media.....

Here is one of the biggest bungles of the Apollo 11 photos.

Its just not possible for light from the Sun to create a "hotspot" on Aldrins boot where he is. There is only one explanation for this "hotspot" and that is from a studio light, there were no flash bulbs or back lights on the moon.

This is a MAJOR oops by NASA and if they hadn't missed it, they would have airbrushed this studio light hotspot out.....

« Last Edit: 20/11/2013 00:19:34 by KubricksOdyssey »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 15/11/2013 13:02:18 »
The surface of the moon is not matt-black : it reflects light from the sun.
The reflection of sunlight from the surface of the moon is the second source of light illuminating the shadow side of the lunar lander. [ The very reflective white spacesuit of the photographer may contribute to the "fill" on this occasion].
You only have to look at the lower surfaces of the suit and backpack to see this backscatter illumination. As you say, this stuff has been dealt with elsewhere; I suspect trolling.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 15/11/2013 13:02:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length