The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Men, have you tried the pregnancy test?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline annie123

• View Profile
Men, have you tried the pregnancy test?
« on: 12/03/2013 23:44:53 »
A news item this week told of a man who tried a pregnancy test and found it positive, later learning that it could be indicating testicular cancer. Has anyone out there tried it and verified or falsified this result? A professor of nano biology told me about the news item and he thought it was credible as the nano beads in the test could react to the hormones in the testes if they were disturbed/different/problematic in any way.

Offline majorminor

• View Profile
Re: Men, have you tried the pregnancy test?
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2013 20:33:11 »
Such an anti-climax.A man waits years to get pregnant and then  finds out the family jewels have gone awry. TBH I am not a checker, I prefer to think positively and hope for the best and assume I am healthy fellow. It may not be the best way scientifically but like my childhood toy that protects me from sharks and lions, it has not failed me yet.

Be Healthy !

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2013 21:54:24 »
Pregnancy tests look for beta-HCG, which is normally produced by the fertilised embryo to maintain the corpus luteum's progesterone output until the embryo implants and can assemble a placenta to take over progesterone production. Cancers have access to the entire genetic repertoire of an individual and so it's not surprising that a cancer could produce a beta-HCG signal; this is made even more likely when one considers that a germ cell tumour is already likely to be expressing genes relevant to embryogenesis and development.

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2013 21:54:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums