The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do plants need to sleep?  (Read 9479 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Do plants need to sleep?
« on: 19/03/2013 08:47:19 »
I was just setting up a small plant starter/incubator. 

I set up an incandescent glow light connected to a thermostat to try to get the temperature up to about 70F (warmer than my house).

Perhaps the temperature will vary somewhat as the thermostat kicks on and off, along with the directionality of the light pointed at my starts.

Anyway, I started wondering if I should set my system on more of a diurnal cycle.  Warm days, cool nights, 12 hours or so of sunlight, followed by several hours of darkness.

If one was to grow plants 100% by growlight.  would it be better to run the lamps 24 hours a day?  Or, using some kind of diurnal cycle? 

For a "day", is it ok to have say 1 hour on/off cycles, throughout the 24 hour day, vs 12 on/12 off cycles?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Do plants need to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: 22/03/2013 11:41:03 »
There are plants which experience 24hr daylight in natural situations. Think of those plants which grow in the far north, where the sun does not set during mid summer, 'the land of the midnight sun'. But these plants have adapted to this over thousands of years and even they are subjected to very low light levels when the sun skims the horizon.

Although I could not find any info on the web, I believe that those commercial tomato growers who need to use artificial lighting, do turn off the lights to mimic a night time period. My understanding on this is that 24 hr light, while it may boost the growth, can result in tough skins on the crop.

There are also those who grow certain herbal plants of a hallucinogenic nature in their loft. These, I think, are grown in 24 hr light. This is probably for the extra profit when flogging aromatic roll-ups on street corners. Since I don't do 'funny fags', I can't tell you what effect this has on the quality of the end product. Far out Man!

Personally, I think forcing something to grow in an unnatural environment must have a detremental effect. Mimicing and enhancing nature is one thing, but altering it to extremes is another. Though you may get faster growth, the cell structure may be weakened or stems which should be green and soft become woody.

Whatever effect 24 hr light may have on the plant, will also translate into the same, or similar, circumstances for problems such as aphids and fungus, to which a weakened plant may have less resistence.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/03/2013 19:04:02 »
Thanks Don,
So, you're saying that if people go crazy when kept awake for 24 hrs per day,
So the best way to to grow plants to make people go crazy is to also keep the plants awake for 24 hours per day?

I know some greenhouses like to use lights to simulate 12 hour days during the winter, although what I'm seeing is that many plants may detect winter/spring differences by a difference in temperature, and also possibly following a cold period with a warm period, rather than changes in the length of day.

There are, of course, diurnal changes with plants that may turn towards the sun, or grow towards the sun.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2013 23:35:06 »
Plants sleep? Surely they do that all the "thyme"?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2013 15:26:09 »
Plants sleep? Surely they do that all the "thyme"?

Now you've got me baying at the screen. Really! They are only asalep during the night, dill the sun rises and chases away the chilli night air. Plants are very punctual you know.

Hold on, avens this been posted in the the wrong thread?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2013 15:26:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums