The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If Venus had had the orbit of Mars???  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Gordian Knot

• View Profile
If Venus had had the orbit of Mars???
« on: 20/03/2013 15:54:25 »
If Venus had been in Mars' orbit, could it have evolved into an Earth like planet?

With all the information coming out about Mars recently it seems more and more likely that Mars was Earth-like very early on. But it's small size, lack of a magnetic field, etc. caused its atmosphere to be ripped away by the Sun.

But what if Mars and Venus had had the others orbit. Mars one planet closer to the sun and Venus one planet further from the sun than Earth. Venus is roughly the same size of Earth and certainly maintains an atmosphere.

How would Venus have turned out in this hypothetical. Would it likely, not likely, possibly, have  become very similar to Earth?

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: If Venus had had the orbit of Mars???
« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2013 17:36:44 »
Venus has a very high surface pressure - but so would the Earth if all of the oceans boiled into the atmosphere.

Perhaps if Venus were further from the Sun, it may not have suffered the runaway greenhouse effect that now keeps it's temperature inhospitably hot (from a human perspective).

But who knows what wonders may now hide under those inscrutable clouds of acid? We should find out before we think about geoengineering another whole planet for our convenience...

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2013 18:09:05 »
I don't think we could move Venus from inside Earth's orbit to outside Earth's orbit. 

It is possible that if Venus had the same atmosphere that it has today, but was in the Martian orbit, then it might be at a much more hospitable temperature.  One of the differences between Mars, and at least some of the smaller planets is the temperature uniformity due to the dense atmosphere.

Introduce plant life, and a couple hundred million years later, it could chew up much of the CO2 (provided enough hydrogen and water), and much of the greenhouse effect could go away, with literally chilling consequences. 

Online yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2013 13:26:15 »
Sorry, wrong thread for my comment. Never open more than one window :) Or you will be lost..

Offline Gordian Knot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2013 13:32:18 »
Thank Goodness Yor-On? lol. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what your comment had to do with the question!

As to the rest, I never suggested "moving" Venus, as if we could even do that. Not to mention the probable nasty  gravitational effects on Earth if we could.

I was asking a hypothetical. What if, When the Solar System Formed, Venus had ended up in Mars' orbit and vice versa.

In a colder outer orbit, what are the chances Venus have ended up evolving very similar to Earth?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2013 13:32:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums