The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How harmful is 1% Nitric acid in a rotary evaporator?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline amass

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello all, how possibly harmful is 1% nitric acid, if I have it in small amount added to rain water in a rotary evaportaor?

More Information: I have a rountine process of investigating  Be-7 in rain water, and I sometimes rinse the rain water collection containers with a little amount of 1% nitric acid,in order to avoid loosing some Be-7 on the container walls. Finally, I intend to carry out a volume reduction of the entire rain water sample (inclusive of little amount -1% nitric acid) in a rotary evaporator. Should this 1% nitric acid be of danger to the personnel in the lab facility?

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Re: How harmful is 1% Nitric acid in a rotary evaporator?
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2013 04:04:03 »
Rotary evaporators are commonly used with organic solvents. Nitric acid will not cause any mayhem on a dedicated rotary evaporator. But if it is in a lab situation, particularly if it is shared by several workers, the other workers will not expect to find any residues of nitric acid. Nitric acid tends to form explosive mixtures with most organic solvents.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2013 13:14:59 »
Rinse thoroughly after use...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2013 13:14:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums