The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there any reason for parents to make their children eat crusts?  (Read 3784 times)

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
If we're talking about regular white bread, surely the crust holds no more nutritional value than the rest of the bread. So why make kids eat something that is the same as the rest but a bit chewier and (for some) unpleasant to eat?

I know the crusts give you curly hair, but is that the only reason?  ;D

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
That's the best part of the bread!!!!

What about eating a roll?  A sub sandwich?  Hamburger? Hot Dog? Pizza? 

You could argue whether or not is should be optional to eat the heal of the loaf, but I would think it is crazy to remove the crust from a slice of bread or a sandwich.  I think one should eat all of what is put in front of oneself, although I've heard it argued that with the obesity epidemic, one should be more concerned with healthy eating than cleaning the plate.

Offline majorminor

• View Profile

I know the crusts give you curly hair, but is that the only reason?  ;D

Curly hair is not to be underestimated in cold weather. Bring on the crust.

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
If we're talking about regular white bread, surely the crust holds no more nutritional value than the rest of the bread. So why make kids eat something that is the same as the rest but a bit chewier and (for some) unpleasant to eat?
Do you wish to encourage waste? Do you wish perfectly good food to be thrown away? Are you in favour of careless consumption? Do you think symbolism and good habits have no place in life?

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
They are the tastiest part, but is it possible that they're the most dangerous part too? There's a cancer risk (maybe 0.0000001%, though that's just a guess) from eating toast, but might it apply to the crusts on bread too?

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
Do you wish to encourage waste? Do you wish perfectly good food to be thrown away? Are you in favour of careless consumption? Do you think symbolism and good habits have no place in life?

I understand your concerns and I'm more than happy to tell my kid to eat his crusts because otherwise it's a waste of food. I just get annoyed when I hear people tell kids that there is some sort of nutritional benefit to eating what is essentially just an over-cooked portion of the rest of the bread. Clearly if a kid doesn't want to eat it, it is not "the best part" for them. I wondered if there was any scientific validity to claims that it's important to eat crusts for anything other than they taste great (I'm in agreeance there!) and it's wasteful not to.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
I think this was probably [as Ophiolite eluded to) a means to stop children leaving waste food in the years of the two World Wars (and between and after) when rationing was in force. In the UK we depended greatly on supplies from abroad (especially the USA) and it might also be that to waste food was seen as an afront to the many sailors, both merchant and armed forces who risked and lost their lives in the Atlantic convoys.

Of course, I could be wrong, as I don't know how long this dates back to.

But anyway, David was on the right track with his suggestion that crusts might be linked to cancer. However, though he was on the right track, he was travelling in the wrong direction according to this article in the Daily Mail in July 2009.
« Last Edit: 05/04/2013 18:14:01 by Don_1 »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'd like to think that's the whole story, because I'd be only too happy to eat nothing but the crusts.

Offline majorminor

• View Profile
I think its  the true indication as how far we have evolved  as humans the amount we can stuff into a pizza crust  these days. I bet the italian man who created the first pizza probably dreamed of computers and mobile phones- but never a pizza crust stuffed with hotdog cheese and a spicy garlic sauce.  The crust is truly not a fringe player anymore.
But back to the humble sandwich crust, its tasty (difference in texture adds to the sandwich experience) it gives us curly hair and it cures cancer. Now if even one of them is true then the crust is a must.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Of course, one could always feed the crusts to the birds...
But not the pigeons!!! [xx(]

Offline Lmnre

• View Profile
The Maillard reaction is responsible for the browning of various foods during cooking: bread, steaks, toast, french fries, fried onions, roasted coffee, maple syrup, caramel, chocolate, roasted peanuts, etc.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums