The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the evidence for medical use of marijuana?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
I'm curious as to what you folks think about medical marijuana?

Before you answer this question please see the results of the UCSF study at  http://medicalmarijuana.com/experts/expert/title.cfm?artID=790

In the study cannabinoids, the main ingredient in cannabis or medical marijuana, was added to opiod therapy and they got reduced pain levels allowing less opioids to be used.

I ask because I have chronic pain. I live in Massachussetts where we just legalized medical marijuana (which is a miracle). I also have depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD, and glaucoma. By all rights I should be a pot-head. ;D

It should be known that the component they used did not give the patients the high normally associated with pot. But wheres the fun in that?  ;D

See also http://medicalmarijuana.com/experts/expert/title.cfm?artID=790
Recent research on brain physiology suggests that when one is in pain the pain receptors are more receptive to stimuli while the pleasure and addiction centers are relatively resistant to stimulation. This is why the vast majority of patients using opiates for pain do not become addicted to it.
« Last Edit: 16/04/2013 23:16:37 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: medical marijuana
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2013 06:40:31 »
I do believe that many users of medical marijuana seek its intoxicating effects, rather than the therapeutic effects.  And, apparently it is rather easy to find a doctor that will prescribe it for just about anything.  That doesn't mean that some users don't experience a therapeutic effect.

The study you cited is quite interesting.
I don't see the primary source online, although it appears to have been published.

Cannabinoid-opioid interaction in chronic pain.
Abrams DI, Couey P, Shade SB, Kelly ME, Benowitz NL.
Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2011 Dec;90(6):844-51. doi: 10.1038/clpt.2011.188. Epub 2011 Nov 2.

Summary here

Here is a long Cannabis bibliography that might have some related articles to look up.
And another, somewhat somewhat shorter list.

The study appears to be a small study, with 24 patients.  It doesn't seem to discuss whether there was a control group, or how a placebo was administered/explained. 

If everyone was in the experimental group, there could be a strong placebo effect, as well as some patients that had spontaneous remission of the pain.

Nonetheless, drug synergy might be worth exploring.  Certainly there is a strong, and well documented synergistic effect between alcohol, and opiates, to the point where the combination can be dangerous.

Nonetheless, this is worth exploring in your life.  I would encourage discussing this with close friends or family...  as they may be able to better evaluate the effects of the drugs on your mental state, as being "stoned" may not be what you desire.
« Last Edit: 17/04/2013 18:43:18 by CliffordK »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
medical marijuana
« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2013 14:48:53 »
Quote from: CliffordK
Nonetheless, this is worth exploring in your life.  I would encourage discussing this with close friends or family...  as they may be able to better evaluate the effects of the drugs on your mental state, as being "stoned" may not be what you desire.
I think you misunderstand. The therapy I seek only uses one of the components of marijuana and not the one that causes the taker to be high.

I hate the feeling if smoking pot so I don't want to take anything that will high. Even taking opioids don't make me high. I have a stran body indeed. I can take oxycodone and have no other effect other than reduced pain and perhaps constipation which is easily compensated for. Even I can't tell that I'm on it other than knowing

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: medical marijuana
« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2013 15:35:17 »
I didn't mean to suggest that you were seeking a "high".  Some people do.  Others have experimented with the marijuana for other reasons such as an anti-nausea medicine.

THC is the principal cannabinoid in marijuana, reported to have both a mild analgesic effect, as well as a psychoactive effect.

There may be different doses for different pharmacological effects, and I'm not familiar with the doses or blood levels.  However, the doses could be much better controlled when taken in tablet form.

Certainly the marijuana or THC can be taken in many different methods that don't involve smoking.  But, even taking THC in purified tablet form can have psychoactive effects, again, possibly dose dependent.

Anyway, I'm just saying that it might be worthwhile to have an independent observer when taking potentially mind altering drugs.

Offline MargaritaMc

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the evidence for medical use of marijuana?
« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2013 14:10:02 »
Do excuse me that I am unfamiliar with the technicalities of posting on this forum - I am very new.

CliffordK in reply number one said,

"Here is a long Cannabis bibliography that might have some related articles to look up."

When I tried to follow the link a message came up that 'the system cannot find the path specified' - I wonder - do you have another source for the information?

Like the first person who posted, I also have chronic pain. Marijuana is legal where I live, but I so dislike smoking (and any feeling of not being in control of my senses!) that I have only tried it a couple of times.

A neighbour told me that in his home country of Belgium the active ingredient of cannabis is available in spray form and said that he would ask his doctor about it when he was next in Belgium.

I discovered this Australian article
newbielink:http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/cannabis-spray-could-help-ms-pain-20121029-28dta.html [nonactive]

And this from the Multiple Sclerosis Society
newbielink:http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/cannabis.jsp [nonactive]

My own pain is not from MS, but from childhood polio (including scoliosis and resulting joint and back pain) and I am currently finding that regular intake of fish oil, antioxidants - Calcium Ascorbate and Resvetarol - and Boswellia serrata has made my joints less painful. I pass this on in case it is of interest.

Margarita

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2013 18:46:31 »
CliffordK in reply number one said,

"Here is a long Cannabis bibliography that might have some related articles to look up."

When I tried to follow the link a message came up that 'the system cannot find the path specified' - I wonder - do you have another source for the information?

Sorry, apparently the system randomizes the file name.
I think the link has been fixed, as well as another similar, but shorter list added.

Offline MargaritaMc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2013 18:53:03 »
Thank you very much.
Margarita

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2013 18:53:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums