The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does the cochlea protect itself from excessive sounds?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Australian researchers have identified a chemical signal that shuts off hearing to protect against loud sounds.

Read the whole story on our website by clicking here

« Last Edit: 18/04/2013 23:23:26 by _system »

Offline FunkyWorm

• View Profile
A very interesting piece on the podcast, but there was repeated reference to the decibel or abbreviated to dB for sound levels. The dB is not a unit - it's a proportion, a ratio or a fraction. Saying "85 dBs of loudness" is meaningless - it's like saying something is "85% loud". You probably mean "85dB(a)" - eighty five decibel with respect to an a-weighted filter.
I know it seems pedantic but science never gets anywhere by being sloppy - your mission is in part educational and so you should pay attention to detail. As my physics teacher would say; "units boy! 85dB what? 85dB elephants?!"

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Sorry!

Offline FunkyWorm

• View Profile
Sorry Dr. Chris - my comment comes across more bolshy than I intended; I was trying to go for humor. BUT, do you take the point re units?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Yes, indeed; but I think he was trying to keep it simple. I am all for a bit of insistence on detail though; thanks for your careful listening.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length