The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How would a parallel universe affect our Universe?  (Read 6588 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: How would a parallel universe affect our Universe?
« Reply #25 on: 04/05/2013 22:14:09 »
It's a hard one isn't it ? I recently stated that most of the new patents in gene techniques are no more than us copying what nature already present us with. Physics is also building on what nature present us with, so are we inventing anything here, or are we just copying? To find new things, and ways to use them, involving lots of testing and clever experiments, to use your mind to unravel new things about the universe? I think I still would call it inventing, but to really 'invent' something, in a pure sense, we might need to be able to 'create', as Bill points out here.

And that is indeed a cool question.
Will we 'create'?

although, it is in the philosophy domain that one :)

Offline majorminor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04/05/2013 23:50:54 »
I think u created a cool question or thought of a question not often asked created many years ago with a big bang that forced all possibilities that we are slowly only recognizing small parts  one question at at time.  Wine for me, I am usually a beer drinker but I am being creative tonight.

keep on creating , evolving etc

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06/05/2013 10:23:49 »
... my own feeling is that greater precision would be achieved by using a term such as "manufacture" and reserving "create" for creation from nothing.

But creation from nothing surely isn't a scientific concept (and would seem to contradict the laws of thermodynamics) - unless you mean creation from the quantum vacuum, which isn't really 'nothing'...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 06/05/2013 10:23:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums