The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I convert resonance into rotation?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline P K Pillai

• View Profile
How can I convert resonance into rotation?
« on: 25/04/2013 02:42:39 »
I need inputs to assemble an engine that converts resonance to rotation, for powering my cycle rickshaw - about 300 kg/cm at 50 rpm. The vibrating element could be a thin spring steel strip, about 2 mtrs long x a few cms wide, electrically actuated.
« Last Edit: 26/04/2013 20:19:03 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Resonance
« Reply #1 on: 25/04/2013 03:06:29 »
There have been people trying shock absorbers that generate electricity.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/90102-shock-absorber-generates-electricity-when-it-hits-a-bump

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/04/2013 09:04:23 »
I am a little puzzled just what you are trying to do you talk of a vibrating spring electrically actuated, if you have a supply of electrical power the best way to use it for propulsion is with a conventional electrical motor.
if you are trying to recover energy from the spring set vibrating by the bumps over which the vehicle travels then see CliffordK's link   

Offline P K Pillai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/04/2013 13:53:48 »
Rightly so !
Resonance optimises input energy.So a resonant assembly might be more energy efficient than an electric motor.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/04/2013 14:23:35 »
involve more muscles ? ...

Or possibly regenerative braking ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_brake [e.g. to charge a battery ]
« Last Edit: 25/04/2013 14:30:06 by RD »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #5 on: 25/04/2013 14:35:29 »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/04/2013 10:26:28 »
Electric motors commonly achieve efficiencies of 90% it is futile to add weighty gadgets to try and produce greater efficiency a resonant device would only capture energy over a narrow range of bump spacing's you need a more broadband arrangement.
An electrical shock absorber will tend to capture energy more at high frequencies you need a hydraulic arrangement that is inherently broadband compressing gas into a reservoir or charging a battery or spinning a flywheel  , there has been much research done in this area for use on F1 cars presumably some has been published. 

Offline P K Pillai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/04/2013 10:52:35 »
Thanks, all.
My idea was to attach a small solenoid or cam operated geared micromotor close to one (fixed) end of the strip. A variable frequency oscillator could drive this assembly into resonance.
But maybe a motor is the best option.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/04/2013 11:50:54 »
To drive the vehicle along the road, a standard electric motor is best.

However, what you are describing sounds like a shock absorber, which normally has two components:
  • A spring to temporarily store the energy of the impact
  • A piston to stop the spring from oscillating excessively, by dissipating the stored energy as heat
I guess you could replace the piston by a coil of wire and a powerful permanent magnet. Any mechanical shocks could then generate a pulse of electricity, which could be used to charge a battery. The battery could then power other functions in the vehicle.

By varying the impedance of the charging circuit, you could vary the "damping" of the suspension for different numbers of passengers, achieving a "critically damped" suspension.

The main challenge is that a 300kg vehicle hitting a bump will generate a large pulse of electricity which would require a large coil, high power electronics and a large battery to absorb the peak power. But the pulse would last only a very short time. This sounds like a high complexity for something that could recycle a fairly small amount of power.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber#Description

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 26/04/2013 11:50:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length