The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what does this mean.....?  (Read 3238 times)

Offline MadeInAfrica

• View Profile
what does this mean.....?
« on: 11/07/2006 15:22:06 »
it is believed that God doesnt tell anyone about his plans, and God is all powerful, at the same time there's freewill.

this doesnt make sense to me. it is God's plan for it to rain now or in a couple of days. how do climatologists tell, and accurately so, that it is going to rain, if and only if God doesnt tell anyone about his plans. does this mean that it is not God's plan for it to rain, or that there is no God, or maybe God is no so powerful??? i dont know! what do you think?

by the way, how can there be freewill if God is all powerful? if God foresees everything before hand there can be no freewill coz God knows that things are going to happen in a certain way.

what all this means to me is that God is not all powerful, or there is no freewill, or there is no God. for God to exist he/she must be all powerfull.

your views!!!

« Last Edit: 11/07/2006 15:40:31 by MadeInAfrica »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: what does this mean.....?
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2006 17:05:55 »
It all comes down to faith. Youíre trying to use the one thing that can't understand God you mind. If we could use our mind to do it then someone (and thatís not a hint) would have come up with the proof one way or another. You have to go beyond the mind and surrender into Gods eternal wisdom. It is your resistances and its ally the ego that keep you from doing this. Learn to turn off you thinking and you will find god weighting between the spaces of your thoughts. Even a split second in this space is to be on the path of enlightenment. So what is stopping you?

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
« Last Edit: 11/07/2006 17:07:11 by Hadrian »

Offline MadeInAfrica

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2006 20:44:30 »
Hadrian: you are skirting the issue here. dont force irrationality down my throat.
I LIVE IN A WORLD OF REASON!!!

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2006 23:09:31 »
It's arguable that in setting the clouds in motion through the atmosphere (at which point we start to be able to forecast the coming rain) that God has already set his plan for rain in motion. So I'm not too convinced by your argument there.

The free will problem is answered differently by different bits of the church. Broadly I think it's written off as "a mystery"... part of the stuff that "passes all understanding". Which means either it's all rot, or it's far to complex for our tiny and inadequate minds.
Either way, since we have to behave as if there's free will anyway it's a purely academic question and probably not worth getting too het up about. Unless you believe it in which case Faith must suffice, I suppose.

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2006 23:27:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by MadeInAfrica
by the way, how can there be freewill if God is all powerful? if God foresees everything before hand there can be no freewill coz God knows that things are going to happen in a certain way.

This problem does not only pertain to God, it also pertains to science.

If science is able to predict everything, then all human action is predictable, and thus all human action is predetermined by prior events, and thus there can be know free will.

George

Offline MadeInAfrica

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/07/2006 11:21:16 »
i agree with you "Another Someone".
a friend of mine just said something interesting. it goes like so: it is believed that when God created Adam and Eve he/she told them not touch some tree or something like that. to me that is enough to conclude that there is no freewill. therefore, there was never a freewill, or maybe satan came up with it(that's there is such).

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/07/2006 12:10:23 »
Irrationality is not eaten, I not trying to force you to do or think anything. You can continue to try to discover the truth of GOD whit your rationality if you choose to. That is your right. I was humbly offering another way to find answer to what you seek.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline MadeInAfrica

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/07/2006 13:58:49 »
hadrian: "Irrationality is not eaten....."  yes, it is not food and you know what i meant by that.
faith is certainly not the answer for me. once i have faith i wont be needing reasons for believing in God because faith will be the reason itself. my point is that the reasons that people have for having faith in God are not reasonable enough to conclude that God exist. that's where irrationality comes in, believing in something with no proper reasons.

if people use language(whatever it is) to express their belief in God, why cant it be used to justify his/her existence?  how did the belief in God spread in the first place if it was never spoken about? why do we need to resort to faith? why shouldnt language be used to justify the existence of God?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 12/07/2006 13:58:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length