The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes hypothermia?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
What causes hypothermia?
« on: 28/04/2013 17:14:53 »
Something terrible happened to me this past week. It started off with the worst headache of my life. Then I started sweating buckets. I took my temperature and it read 92.7F. I went to the hospital and when they checked it it read 93F. The did a cat scan of my head and a lumbar puncture to check my spinal fluid, both of which seemed fine. I'm supposed to see my doctor this week because of it but frankly I'm tired of doctors. Is there a legitimate reason to think that this is somethiung besides some freak anomoly that will probably never happen again? What could have caused it?

Its my understanding that its the hypothalmus that regulates body temperature among other things concerning homeostasis. Is there any legitimate reason to be concerned that this could be a brain tumor thats still too small to be picked up on a cat scan? What other neurological conditions could cause this?

I shopuld mention that I have degenerative disk disease and was out in the cold sprinkle of a rain just before that. Could it be that the damage to my spine prevented my from shivering and that's what kept me cold?
« Last Edit: 29/04/2013 17:02:42 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Causes of hypothermia
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2013 17:53:42 »
Q. Causes of hypothermia [and severe headache in someone with degenerative disc disease ].

If we ignore the degenerative disc disease, then any infection can cause fever and chills.

There are arteries which pass through the bones in your neck, vertebral arteries, which supply about 20% of the blood supply to your brain. Degenerative disc disease causing misalignment of the neck vertebrae, (or bone-spurs), could in turn restrict the blood flow in the vertebral arteries causing impairment in any brain function, including autonomic ones like temperature-regulation. 

Quote from: wikipedia.org
Cervical Arterial Disease or CAD may cause interrupted blood supply to the brain resulting in headaches, vertigo, and the diminution of cognitive abilities and memory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerative_disc_disease#Symptoms

Neurological problems other than headache would be in keeping with the latter, e.g. similar to those of TIA.
« Last Edit: 28/04/2013 19:05:00 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2013 19:48:51 »
If it happens once, perhaps it was a Transient ischemic attack, as RD suggests. 

If it repeatedly occurs, then follow up on it.

My father apparently started having "night sweats" about 2 years before a brain tumor was diagnosed.  Considering the aggressive nature of gliomas, one never knows if there would have been any difference in the long-term outcome had it been diagnosed earlier, but when it was ultimately discovered, treatment options were limited.

A brain aneurysm would also be on the differential diagnosis, which I believe is best diagnosed with imaging using contrast media (angiograms).  And, an aneurysm, if discovered early enough is treatable.  If discovered too late, may not be treatable.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/04/2013 20:34:11 »
If it happens once, perhaps it was a Transient ischemic attack, as RD suggests. 

If it repeatedly occurs, then follow up on it.

My father apparently started having "night sweats" about 2 years before a brain tumor was diagnosed.  Considering the aggressive nature of gliomas, one never knows if there would have been any difference in the long-term outcome had it been diagnosed earlier, but when it was ultimately discovered, treatment options were limited.

A brain aneurysm would also be on the differential diagnosis, which I believe is best diagnosed with imaging using contrast media (angiograms).  And, an aneurysm, if discovered early enough is treatable.  If discovered too late, may not be treatable.
Thanks! Wouldn't an aneurysm have been detectd in the cat scan I had?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/04/2013 23:51:34 »
The CAT (or MRI) would detect it only if it was a bad aneurysm that was bleeding a lot, but, if that occurred, you would still be in the hospital.

If it was just a bulge, and perhaps a very minimal amount of bleeding, it would need the angiogram to detect it.  Possibly an fMRI, but the angiogram is the best.  If it is small now, but ruptures later, then it can be really bad. 

Angiograms, of course, are not without risk, especially if you have plaque buildup in the arteries.

Brain aneurysms are often described as the worst headache a person has had in their life (in a person that doesn't normally have bad Migraines).  There are a couple of major branch points in arteries where they are most common, but unfortunately I don't remember other related symptoms.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2013 02:08:12 »
The CAT (or MRI) would detect it only if it was a bad aneurysm that was bleeding a lot, but, if that occurred, you would still be in the hospital.

If it was just a bulge, and perhaps a very minimal amount of bleeding, it would need the angiogram to detect it.  Possibly an fMRI, but the angiogram is the best.  If it is small now, but ruptures later, then it can be really bad. 

Angiograms, of course, are not without risk, especially if you have plaque buildup in the arteries.

Brain aneurysms are often described as the worst headache a person has had in their life (in a person that doesn't normally have bad Migraines).  There are a couple of major branch points in arteries where they are most common, but unfortunately I don't remember other related symptoms.

Okay. I'll see my doctor. This doesn't seem trivial. I checked my temperature today and it was 99.1F. I hate it when that happens. It's high enough to be abnormal but not high enough to be officially sick. Very confusing.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What causes hypothermia?
« Reply #6 on: 11/05/2013 21:39:24 »
Peter,

Any updates?  What did your Doc say?
Any further tests?

---- Cliff ----

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: What causes hypothermia?