The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are glyconutrients beneficial for Down's patients?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Brad Kimberlee Bush  asked the Naked Scientists:

I have a 3 1/2 year old son that was diagnosed with Down's syndrome at birth.

He is continually advancing about a year behind.... but bright, has high comprehension, developing muscle tone, attends school, etc. He takes Omega 3's, vitamins, and ginko daily and has for over a year.

The studies I have seen on glyconutrients sound beneficial for the areas of concern; speech and congestion.

I would appreciate your insight.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 01/05/2013 11:30:03 by _system »

Offline Slsears

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Are glyconutrients beneficial for Down's patients?
« Reply #1 on: 07/05/2013 16:02:27 »
I've been taking Glyconutrients from Mannatech for many years now and I have seen some amazing things. What I can tell you is Glyconutrients are not going to hurt your son so it is worth a try. There are several companies that are offering Glyconutrients and they are not all created equal. I only trust the ones I take as I trust the company and the way that the Glyconutrients are processed. They are also 100% plant based and completely nontoxic.  Mannatech also offers a Money Back guarantee if you don't feel like you have seen the results. The bottom line is it is worth a try. My heart and Prayers are with you.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/05/2013 16:20:19 »
I've been taking Glyconutrients from Mannatech for many years now and I have seen some amazing things.

Those are either very vague claims, or the stuff is hallucinogenic.
[ it's the former ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannatech#Public_Scrutiny ]

My heart and Prayers are with you.

Is scientific advice from someone who apparently believes in the power of intercessory prayer worth listening to ?
« Last Edit: 07/05/2013 19:45:01 by RD »

Offline Ricky

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/05/2013 19:13:22 »
I don't normally reply to these sorts of posts, but this one in particular really wound me up.

The pure arrogance and ignorance from RD is shocking.

The main reason why Mannatech got in trouble was because Mannatech associates shared their own personal testimonials.  When they did they were sued for making claims.

Now the above persons simply says he / she's seen amazing things, deliberately avoiding saying it cured her of ailments, as that would be making a claim.

If I told you Vitamin C Cures scurvy, I'd be breaking the law.

I know many scientist, doctors and lectures who all believe in God.  What is wrong with you? You obviously get a kick out of slating people online, but honestly, that was a very childish response from you.

Do you believe everything you read on Wikipedia? hahaha.  Seriously!?

Use their products.  I've heard only good things about their products.  The only people that have bad things to say about it are the ones not willing to try it. 

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/05/2013 22:47:36 »
The pure arrogance and ignorance from RD is shocking.
Hmm, well I've been drinking tea for many years and I've seen some amazing things; who hasn't? really, it could hardly be more vague...

Believing in the power of intercessory prayer doesn't necessarily devalue other judgements or opinions, although it's not encouraging; we won't know until Slsears says something definite - so far what he/she's posted could equally be said of homeopathic remedies, tea, or plain orange juice.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/05/2013 03:45:36 »
If I told you Vitamin C Cures scurvy, I'd be breaking the law.
No you would not, because it has been proven that scurvy is due to vitamin C deficiency.
You could only be prosecuted for making false or unsubstantiated claims for a product you were selling.

I know many scientist, doctors and lectures who all believe in God
If they believe in the power of intercessory prayer then they should give up their day-job and concentrate on praying to cure the ill : sucking-up to an allegedly omnipotent-being would be a better-bet if it existed and was susceptible to sycophancy.

Use their products.
That's what I call a hard sell.

... I've heard only good things about their products.  The only people that have bad things to say about it are the ones not willing to try it. 
Have you heard of Google ? ... https://www.google.com/search?q=mannatech+scam+fraud+MLM+pyramid+victim

The scientists who research glycobiology ain't too happy about Mannatech giving them a bad name ...
Quote from: Glycobiology vol. 18 no. 9 pp. 652657, 2008 doi:10.1093/glycob/cwm098
... we feel that glycobiologists do have a responsibility to serve the public by speaking out against claims of glyconutrient therapeutic efficacy, often based on legitimate glycobiology discoveries, when there is a lack of credible clinical data to support such claims
http://glycob.oxfordjournals.org/content/18/9/652.full.pdf+html?sid=0c213d8e-114b-41a1-8957-d1dcda2948b3
« Last Edit: 30/05/2013 09:45:55 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 30/05/2013 03:45:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums