The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: High tight should varicose vein stockings be?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Polaris

• View Profile
High tight should varicose vein stockings be?
« on: 05/05/2013 16:42:20 »
Hello,
my husband has Varicose veins on his left leg above the knee, since 2 years.  but this supporting sock that the doctor gave is too tight for him, i saw red spot at the backside of the knee because the sock goes down with time and clamped the skin. he said without the sock he feels nothing, but with the sock he feels so painful. so he gave up the sock and would like to get it removed in winter, but im worried, without the sock, will this thing go worse? is this kind of extreme tightness meaningful? or he could try a bigger size?
thank you for your patience.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2013 20:05:32 by chris »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: High tight should varicose vein stockings be?
« Reply #1 on: 05/05/2013 22:29:13 »
That's a really good question. And I don't know the answer. But I would think you want to keep blood from pooling or getting trapped in the lower leg. So tightness may not matter as much as over all fit, so that he is getting a consistent level of support around the leg, without too much tightness at the top of the sock. Like buying shoes, he may just have to keep trying on different ones until he finds the brand and size that gives him the right fit. Chances are if it feels good and there are no red marks (or white marks that do not return to normal skin colour), the socks are doing what they are supposed to do. A doctor or nurse is probably the best one to ask.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2013 22:46:07 by cheryl j »

Offline Polaris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2013 18:02:43 »
Hello

thanks for your info! its overall tight, i guess thats why its called supporting sock. but since it goes down, usually just stopped at the knee, so the back side of the knee is sooo red and he said its really aching and frustrating him. skin goes back to normal one day after. i was afraid that this might cause another problem while the old one is not fixed even.
doctors and pharmacy people ja, good idea i should keep asking them after being disappointed.

extra question, he wants to get it removed, but the doctor said its suitable only in winter, do you know why only winter? can that be fixed?

have a nice day!

Offline Polaris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2013 05:47:19 »
That's a really good question. And I don't know the answer. But I would think you want to keep blood from pooling or getting trapped in the lower leg. So tightness may not matter as much as over all fit, so that he is getting a consistent level of support around the leg, without too much tightness at the top of the sock. Like buying shoes, he may just have to keep trying on different ones until he finds the brand and size that gives him the right fit. Chances are if it feels good and there are no red marks (or white marks that do not return to normal skin colour), the socks are doing what they are supposed to do. A doctor or nurse is probably the best one to ask.
Hello

thanks for your info! its overall tight, i guess thats why its called supporting sock. but since it goes down, usually just stopped at the knee, so the back side of the knee is sooo red and he said its really aching and frustrating him. skin goes back to normal one day after. i was afraid that this might cause another problem while the old one is not fixed even.
doctors and pharmacy people ja, good idea i should keep asking them after being disappointed.

extra question, he wants to get it removed, but the doctor said its suitable only in winter, do you know why only winter? can that be fixed?

have a nice day!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2013 05:47:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums