The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did antimatter go backwards in time from the Big Bang?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline zbhfw

• First timers
    • View Profile
According to Richard Feynman, antiparticles are just regular particles going backwards in time. (QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter). For example, an anti-electron is a normal electron going backwards in time.
So I am wondering... did the Big Bang create negative (backwards) time as well as our normal time, and did it create equal amounts of antimatter going backwards in time?  Could that explain why there is so little observable antimatter in our universe?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: Did antimatter go backwards in time from the Big Bang?
« Reply #1 on: 12/05/2013 18:20:20 »
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/391/is-anti-matter-matter-going-backwards-in-time

And no, everything we measure has one temporal direction locally. The same as what our local clock tells us.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/05/2013 18:34:47 »
Symmetries is not time going backwards. A electron mathematically transformed into a positron does not state that time suddenly backed up there. To me this situation is the same as some people imagining that because we find a time symmetry, enabling us to play a movie of a ball bouncing backwards, we can also assume that the arrow can change direction. That's not true to me, it's just logic and causality making sense of our lives, presenting us with a ordered past, a 'present', and a future. If that ball movie would give you something else than the bounce, if played forward, then we would meet magic.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2013 18:46:41 »
According to Richard Feynman, antiparticles are just regular particles going backwards in time. (QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter). For example, an anti-electron is a normal electron going backwards in time.
Antiparticles can be viewed that way; it's just a way to interpret particle interactions that Feynman though could be useful.

So I am wondering... did the Big Bang create negative (backwards) time as well as our normal time, and did it create equal amounts of antimatter going backwards in time?
That's like asking the if the house builder put in a path that goes from the door to the gate as well as a path back from the gate to the door... It's the same thing, depending how you interpret it.

If you interpret antimatter as matter going backwards in time, it would have to be created after the big bang and it would travel back to be destroyed at the big bang. It's generally simpler to interpret it the usual way.

Offline jh443

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/02/2014 20:27:20 »
I personally believe this is possible, but I cannot imagine any way to gather any evidence to work toward a proof.

Most people seem to view the Big Bang as a cone. I prefer to view it as a bow tie. Neither side can prove the existence of the other. If there is a supreme being and an afterlife, maybe this question can be answered at that time (well... I suspect "time" doesn't exist there, but I'm sure you get my meaning)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 05/02/2014 20:27:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums