The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: NASA ditches Microsoft-Windows for Linux  (Read 1683 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 12/05/2013 20:48:52 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NASA ditches Microsoft-Windows for Linux
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2013 04:18:08 »
Interesting.

I'm not convinced that Linux is more resistant to viruses.  What antivirus are they using?  But, there are a heck of a lot more Windows viruses than those targeting any other machine.  However, many viruses depend on users doing stupid things.

This was just on the ISS, and not all of NASA.  However, I wonder why more businesses don't take the plunge into Linux/OpenOffice/LibreOffice.  There might be a slight training curve for employees, but many Linux releases are getting very mature.

And, for a business, it might not be a problem if some employees can't run the latest release of their favorite games.

The millions of dollars that some businesses spend on licensing fees could go a long ways towards hiring professional support staff, and potentially even contributing to open source development.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2013 20:56:46 »
I'm not convinced that Linux is more resistant to viruses.  What antivirus are they using?

I don't know about NASA, but the Linux systems I've seen don't have antivirus running, (and run a lot faster as a result). There are antivirus programs which run on Linux, but they are for checking data, (e.g. email), which is being transmitted to Windows users.

Unlike Linux, Windows has a lot of potential back-doors, hence all the security patches.

Just visiting a webpage, (without copying or downloading anything else) , can infect a windows system ... http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=285215
« Last Edit: 13/05/2013 20:59:31 by RD »

Offline Europan Ocean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/06/2013 04:55:21 »
There is a distro of Linux made for such as CERN that they use. So many distros, more than 100, so writing viruses is a tough job for the techy graffiti artists.

Linux is behind in the number of programs available.  But I use it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 15/06/2013 04:55:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums