The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's different about the batteries now used in the latest generation of cars?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline confusious says

• View Profile
Most of the time, technology really makes our life better, but I can honestly say, this does not run true in the case of the car battery, I much preffered the old type of battery where you topped up the electrolyte, these batteries would last between 2-4 years and when they started to play up, at least you had an early warning, they would gradually start to be less efficient, but the gell type low maintenance car battery which is probably not much different in technology to rechargeable batteries you put in your torch, gives no indication of failure, which is almost total failure, and leaves you to buy another battery immediately, I know these types of batteries have been in use in cars for a number of years, but I just wished some bright spark could come up with a better battery :)
« Last Edit: 17/05/2013 07:43:23 by chris »

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newer Car Battery versus the old type
« Reply #1 on: 16/05/2013 19:45:20 »
The new battery is actually the old battery with a nice shiny sticker over the top covering the filler holes. Inside it is the same lead acid chemistry, just with a little lithium added to the cells to make them generate less gas. You peel this top sticker off and under it you will find either the filler caps or a plastic cover over them. Remove it and fill with water and away you go. the battery will last longer when this is done, because the main killer of batteries is living in a hot engine bay with poor ventilation and cooling. Those cars with the battery in the rear have a much longer battery life.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/05/2013 20:03:57 »
There are AGM cells, and other "advanced technologies".  And, I believe they do not have water in the cells, so technically they should be able to be used at any angle.  However, the basic lead/acid batteries are cheap to make and are still the most common batteries.

Many commercial batteries are designed to last a decade, or more, and I have  no doubt that one could have a 10 year automobile battery if one wanted.  Especially if one could add some electronics to prevent trickle discharges and deep discharges.  But, of course, the basic 24 to 72 month automotive batteries are cheaper, and auto manufactures make money by designing parts to be replaced periodically.  Plus, a 10 or 15 year battery might be bigger, bulkier, and heavier.

Some manufactures have experimented with locating the battery in the passenger compartment of the vehicle to better prevent the hot and cold temperatures experienced in the engine compartment. 

Lithium ion, Lithium Polymer, NiMH, NiCAD, and similar types of batteries might save some weight in auto applications.  And thus, may even save fuel, however, the savings would be minimal, even over the hundreds of millions of vehicles on the road, and may not justify the added expense (and energy?) to produce these batteries.  That is for gas powered cars.  They certainly are justified for electric vehicles (assuming the EV is justified).  And, of course, aircraft and spacecraft have much greater benefits of minimizing weight.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 16/05/2013 20:03:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums