The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there evidence that the Earth is cooling?  (Read 7952 times)

Offline MoreCarbonOK

• View Profile
Re: Is there evidence that the Earth is cooling?
« Reply #25 on: 22/05/2013 12:14:47 »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22/05/2013 17:31:18 »
There has been a significant drop in papers explicitly endorsing the consensus that plate tectonics drives continental drift, that helicobacter causes stomach ulcers, that ours is one of many galaxies, that quantum entanglement is a real phenomenon.

It doesn't mean they are no longer consensus, or that there is increasing doubt about them. It means they are well-established and research focus has turned to clarifying the details.

New evidence could change that, of course.

Offline MoreCarbonOK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29/05/2013 19:29:01 »
I hate the cold. It will be winter soon and I wanted to see how bad things are, here where I live. I looked at the change in the daily temperatures in every month of June in every year going back to 1974. Below is the graph that I ended up with. I found that from 2000-2012 we have been going down at an average rate of 0.06 degrees C per annum, in June. That is about 0.7 degrees C in total, since 2000.

With all the global warming going on, I had been hoping that things would be getting warmer, especially here in Pretoria, where we have inversion in winter, and, as a result of increased veld fires and burning of wood and coal, one expects to find elevated CO2 levels here in the winter months, trapped in between layers.

The graphs prove that adding more CO2 in the air is not going to help us one bit against the coming (common) cold..

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29/05/2013 20:45:19 »
Why are there only 4 points on the graph, and what reason do you have to think that taking a day in june is representative?

Also is the change in temperature, or the difference in temperature from (say) 1980? Because it looks like if you added up all the differences you get a positive temperature.

Also, error bars, where are the error bars?

This is all nonsense anyway, the consensus of many scientists doing different experiments is that global warming is happening. You won't necessarily get local warming, but you usually will.
« Last Edit: 29/05/2013 20:46:51 by wolfekeeper »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is icy weather coming? Met eish ja, Pretoria ice....
« Reply #29 on: 30/05/2013 04:45:42 »
It is impossible to judge global climate by looking at the weather in a single town.

Why do you only display one point every decade?  Surely there is more data than that available.  Then you seem to skip 2010 and go directly to 2012.

In fact, essentially your entire trend is based on a single point (2012), in a single town.

Oddly, when I downloaded the Pretoria chart from NASA/GISS, I see a somewhat different trend.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30/05/2013 05:03:15 »
Ahhh,

You were not only Judging the global climate based on a few points for a single city, but also a single month.

I've plotted the month of June, based on the NASA/GISS data set above.

I'm just not seeing the trends that you're finding.

Offline MoreCarbonOK

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30/05/2013 07:52:38 »
henry@clifford
no I was not looking at global at all now, I wanted to know local.
<removed - see warning>

I am always looking at the average change from the average over time.
e.g. from 2012 - 1974 (which happened to be zero for June, Pretoria), from 2012- 1980, from from 2012 - 1990 and from 2012 -2000 (= one solar cycle)
I got my data from tutiempo.net
e.g.
http://www.tutiempo.net/clima/Pretoria/2012/682620.htm

Your data I donot trust, esp. from before 1974
e.g. how do you separate data where they introduced thermo couples and continuous recording from how it was done before?>
but can you give me a link?
« Last Edit: 30/05/2013 13:27:05 by peppercorn »

Offline MoreCarbonOK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30/05/2013 08:00:23 »
henry@clifford

your data in 2006 and 2007 are completely out with mine.
It never got to 15 or 16 here ever, on average, in June, in Pretoria.
In 2006 it was 11.7
in 2007 it was 11.9

those are only the peaks that I compared.
You can keep your GISS data....

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30/05/2013 18:29:07 »
The link for the NASA/GISS data for Pretoria is above.  See the link for downloadable text data at the bottom of that page.

The peak that is shown was in June 2004 (16.1C) & June 2005 (15C)
There are a few holes in the dataset, and no data is displayed for June 2007, and of course, not for June 2013.

The nearest other weather station being reported on the NASA/GISS system with data in 2004/2005 appears to be the Jan Smuts.  For that weather station, 2004 (10.7C) appears to be close to the average temperature for June (10.49C), but 2005 is also high, 12.5C, which would give further information to validate the Pretoria data.

At one time, I had read an article about the NASA/GISS data verification, but I no longer have a link to that article.  I'm sure it can be found on the web.  They are supposed to make an attempt to verify the validity of outlying data points by looking at other nearby weather stations, and other data sources.  Certainly today there would be a number of redundant data sources which would not have been available in 1950.

Even if you just look at Pretoria, and the month of June in Pretoria, there does seem to be a slow drifting upwards of temperatures since about 1970 or 1980.  Certainly it would be difficult to discern a cooling trend.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #33 on: 30/05/2013 18:29:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums