The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why might intense exercise cause nausea?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why might intense exercise cause nausea?
« on: 26/05/2013 16:30:01 »
Ari Huttunen  asked the Naked Scientists:

I'd like to ask a question regarding a too intensive workout and a sometimes occurring sudden nausea during or afterwards. What makes this happen and what happens in the body?

This thing happened to me when I began working out seriously about three years ago at the university. It never happened in the gym, but in intensive group exercise sessions, like cirquit training and boxercise.

Back then I think it was about learning not to eat too much an hour or more before the exercise. However recently I felt nauseous and weak and I think this was just because of too much exercise, not eating wrong.

The experience is quite strange, I feel dizzy, everything in my stomach attempts to get upwards and stuff in my gut starts to makes it's way down quickly - pardon the graphic description.

Basically you need to think quickly where's the nearest loo, just in case.

So I'm interested what makes this happen, what kind of stress this is to the body and what the body gets from reacting this strongly?

Best regards
Ari Huttunen
Helsinki University

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 26/05/2013 16:30:01 by _system »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Why might intense exercise cause nausea?
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2013 12:03:50 »
One possibility is that you are hyperventilating, which is causing hypocapnoea (low CO2), which can cause dizzy sensations and nausea. You might also be suffering a sugar dip, with the same outcome.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2013 16:39:57 »
I've had that happen, too. My guess would be dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, or lactic acid building up from muscle fatigue. It always went away pretty quickly with water (or a sports drink)  and about 25 minutes rest, (and sometimes I could even go back to working out.) It usually happened when I hadn't worked out for a while and did too much the first time back, or if I drank any alcohol the day before, which probably contributes to dehydration.
« Last Edit: 22/05/2013 16:42:10 by cheryl j »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2013 16:39:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums