The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dehydration question  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Laith

• View Profile
Dehydration question
« on: 13/07/2006 03:18:05 »
If you were lost in the desert with only 1 bottle of water left, would you survive longer if you chug it all at once or keep drinking small amounts when you feel you have to?

Laith

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Dehydration question
« Reply #1 on: 13/07/2006 04:05:16 »
I think you should drink it sparingly. Drinking it all at once would lead the body to presume that water was not in short supply. Urine production would remain high, urine concentration would be low, sweating would be profuse.

But if the body begins to dehydrate various mechanisms kick in to offset water loss including increased urine concentrating power and reduced sweating (where possible).

Therefore, if lost in the Australian outback, take small sips and stay out of the sun.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2006 08:21:48 »
Also, I believe you should be careful to have enough salt with you as well you will be losing salt, as well as water, in sweat.

But, as Chris said, everything in slow moderation make it last as long as possible.

George
« Last Edit: 13/07/2006 08:23:05 by another_someone »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2006 03:27:46 »
Drink it...enjoy....remember you also have all those cartons of fruit juice and milk too, also, if you're really lost...just call in to the nearest gas station..you can freshen up and buy provisions.  :D

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 14/07/2006 15:10:29 »
You could use a "solar still" to obtain distilled water from the ground and your urine ,
 (do not drink urine [xx(]).

"The Solar Still functions under the general principle of the "greenhouse effect". Solar energy heats the ground by passing through a clear plastic barrier. Moisture from the soil then evaporates, rises and condenses on the underside of the plastic barrier above.

The still also has the ability to purify tainted water. In fact, it condenses pure water from just about anything. Even urine will produce clean, drinkable water. (CAUTION: One fluid never to be used is radiator fluid, as its toxins will vaporize and poison the water.)

Materials
There are only 2 essential components to constructing the Solar Still :-
 a container to catch the water and a 6 x 6-footsheet of clear plastic....
The Solar Still only takes about an hour to build. If constructed correctly,
 it can yield about a quart of water a day."

http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/dec/stories/water.html
« Last Edit: 14/07/2006 15:16:13 by ROBERT »

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 14/07/2006 17:56:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT

You could use a "solar still" to obtain distilled water from the ground and your urine ,
 (do not drink urine [xx(]).

During the Beslan siege, the children did drink urine as the only liquid they were allowed.

I always thought that while it was not healthy, in relative terms, it was still healthier than no fluid at all.  Prolonged drinking of large amounts of urine could easily cause kidney problems (and probably much else besides), but when it is a matter of surviving a couple of days more, it still may well be enough to save your life.

I believe there are actually some people who would argue for the health benefits of drinking a small amount of one's own urine each day but I doubt that any qualified medical practitioner would propound such a practice.

George

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2006 04:24:00 »
I agree with the moderate drinking. If you want salt lick your skin while your at it.

Don't forget that not all deserts are Sahara-esque, they just have low rainfall. In the desert that is Antarctica I would definetly drink my water before it froze.

And in the more stereotypical deserts you could also potenitially get water from digging down to the water table or from the many plump plants.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2006 04:24:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums