The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

Is a mans attractiveness affected by his relationship status?

Author Topic: Is a mans attractiveness affected by his relationship status?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline AntonMaeso

• View Profile
First answer question!!!

I read a paper recently published in Journal of Social, Evolutionary, and Cultural Psychology that was titled:

DO WOMEN REALLY LIKE TAKEN MEN? RESULTS FROM A LARGE QUESTIONNAIRE STUDY.

The study suggests that men are found more attractive by women when they are in a relationship. In comparison to when they have recently broken up or are not in a relationship. It is based on a questionnaire and it is only correlations that they use no experimental manipulation.

However they find medium effect sizes for questions like:

"When Iím in a relationship women (men) seem more interested in me."

Do you think its true? Men are more attractive in a relationship. If not what is going on.

Offline redrooster

• View Profile
There is no doubt about it, Ive noticed it myself on many an occasion but with women who knows what there thinking?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
"For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath."

Matthew 25:29

Call it capitalism, alpha male dominance, or whatever.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I can't really judge the attractiveness of men.  Although I must admit that some single men just appear to be plain immature.

However, in my case, it may be easier to build friendships with married, or otherwise unavailable women than it is to build friendships with single women.  Perhaps the married women are considered "safe", and likewise consider me as "safe".

It may well be true that women choose to start good "friendships" which may be easier with married men, whether or not they are also considering relationship potential.

Also, the married men may posses a level of maturity that would be difficult for single men, even at older ages.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
That someone else thinks the man is fit to be a mate by marrying him , makes him a better bet than an otherwise identical but unmarried version.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
And, of course,
A woman would have her man whipped into shape...  which would then be attractive to others   :o

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length