The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Energy from radioactive waste  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Hardeep271212

• First timers
    • View Profile
Energy from radioactive waste
« on: 11/06/2013 19:18:03 »
Nuclear energy is considered as abundant source of energy but it is not in use as much today due to its disadvantages that is nuclear meltdown and nuclear waste. what if we start harvesting energy from that waste. I have an idea to harvest energy by using theories like electromagnetic induction, Compton scattering etc. but before sharing my views further I want to know other's view on this topic.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Energy from radioactive waste
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2013 05:57:30 »
A similar question was asked earlier.

Why don't we continue to use spent nuclear fuel? 

Apparently there is a project in China to generate heat with spent fuel.  See my notes about 3/4 through the discussion.

The other thing is that "spent fuel" doesn't necessarily mean that all the Uranium or fissionable material is gone, just that there has been a buildup of nuclear poisons that prevent fission.  The spent rods can be reprocessed to extract the fissionable material which can then be burnt again (called MOX fuel).

Offline Hardeep271212

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/06/2013 12:25:16 »
but my idea is to harvest energy from radiation from radioactive waste such as from beta particles and gamma rays which are the main reason for carefully disposing the waste.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 20/06/2013 12:25:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums