The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: India's Rafale and SU 50...?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Europan Ocean

• View Profile
India's Rafale and SU 50...?
« on: 15/06/2013 06:47:49 »
India recently bought a number of French Rafale fighter jets. Jets are composed of inner electronics and outer engineering for moves like vectoring, and propulsion for speed and rate of increase, and things like the better inwardly contained weapon systems. Why did India buy the Rafale? France would charge a lot compared to Russia I'd say. And the SU 50 would appear to be better than the F22 or F35. Electronics unknown, but probably up there with the US or maybe better. The SU 50 does vectoring and I think has hydrazine propulsion options for post vectoring acceleration. I think it has reverse thrust.

So India could have bought the F22, F35, or SU 45 or SU 50, why did they go for the Rafale?

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Re: India's Rafale and SU 50...?
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2013 10:15:20 »
I guess the reason might be that there were other issues in the negotiation:
Bundling with a 'quid pro quo', e.g. an arrangement for easier access for Indian goods to the French market?
A political desire to make India a bit less dependent on Russia, both in terms of the Indians wanting to assert their independence and in terms of the French seeing this as desirable?
A worry about reliability/safety/after sales service issues with the Russians?
A particularly attractive secret deal offer by the French?
et cetera

You are probably right about the technical specifications, but there are often other issues that enter into a negotiation for purchase of a major weapon system.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2013 20:47:04 »
I think that modern fighter aircraft have become so complex and expensive that rather like the battleships of the first world war nations will be reluctant to deploy them and they will just stay safe in their underground bunkers.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/06/2013 21:27:04 »
Or, if you are like Iraq, one doesn't need a "bunker".

The issues, of course, are whether one is dealing with a nation that is of lesser, equal, or greater sophistication. 

Is the current generation of drones equipped to evade fighters, other than with stealth capabilities?

I do think we need to invest our money in stuff other than making better killing machines.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/06/2013 13:16:40 »
It's tricky, India have bought from France before as I remember, also having good relations with them I would guess. Then it's also a political game, and one where you need to know who to 'make happy', to get the deal through. It's definitely not as simple as buying the best 'bang for the bucks'. In that case Gripen should have won :) as I think, but it has to do with what technology transfers the buyer gets, political considerations, etc etc. India have in fact been trying to develop its own aircraft, http://jugaadtoinnovation.blogspot.se/2013/04/why-does-india-struggle-to-develop-its.html

Now read this.
 https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/india-lca-tejas-by-2010-but-foreign-help-sought-with-engine-01901/

Then look at this.
http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2013/04/11/Dassault-and-India-in-Rafale-deal-standoff/UPI-95651365652920/
==

The 'best bang for the bucks' should be read as the real costs for the aircrafts maintenance, operational competitiveness, durability under extended use, speed of replacing vital components under duress, etc etc.

But if you really need to sell to balance your own costs, producing, you might be willing to sell at a very cheap price, under costs really.
« Last Edit: 22/06/2013 13:39:21 by yor_on »

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/06/2013 17:10:52 »
Who paid the biggest bribe wins, simple enough. All the French arms groups actually report in the annual finances just how much they paid in bribes, as a deductible against taxes.
« Last Edit: 23/06/2013 17:16:35 by SeanB »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 23/06/2013 17:10:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums