The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: need some expert advice (meteorite?)  (Read 2799 times)

Offline hoodbran

• First timers
    • View Profile
need some expert advice (meteorite?)
« on: 16/06/2013 12:38:04 »
Hi All, I found this in NE England not far from the coast - but maybe 1/2 mile inland.. I was walking until I kicked it and it was heavy.  It weighs 283g is about 3"x1.5"x1.5" has lots of speckles and when I cut into it with a regular hacksaw there be silver metal inside!

It could just be a lump of iron but I have not seen iron rust like this and has more of a rocky constituency. (sorry for the bad quality pictures - taken from a phone).

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 16/06/2013 14:26:06 by RD »

Offline distimpson

• View Profile
    • Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
Re: need some expert advice (meteorite?)
« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2013 01:15:16 »
Metal mixed with stone is a good sign but as RD mentions slag is a very real possibility-we see quite a bit of that at our museum. Anyhoo, check the specimen with a strong magnet, rare earth type, if the metal is the usual iron-nickel found in a meteorite the magnet will stick to the surface. If free metal is present and a magnet sticks we usually do a test for nickel, rare in earth rocks, common in meteorites. If it passes the nickel test we send it out for microprobe analysis and for a new meteorite find we encourage submission to the Meteoritical Bulletin.

I just uploaded a photolog of Brenham meteorites we have been digging in Kansas over the last 20 years, may be of interest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7wQsT_u6U

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/06/2013 02:42:40 »
On closer inspection there are parallel linear features, and possibly cubes (if not jpeg artefacts)

The parallel linear features on something which is coated in rust rules out meteorite.

If there are cubes maybe pyrite

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/m078.htm
« Last Edit: 19/06/2013 02:58:15 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 19/06/2013 02:42:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums