The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Causality is it violated by quantum entanglement?  (Read 14653 times)

Offline CPT ArkAngel

• View Profile
Re: Causality is it violated by quantum entanglement?
« Reply #50 on: 26/09/2013 03:00:30 »
I have studied it 25 five years ago at undergraduate level that correspond to graduate level for today. I found by myself the possibility of superpositions of waves long time before I read about it.

I am not talking of local but non local hidden variables.

And JP is clearly wiser than both of us. :o)

Your methodology is clearly different of mine. No theory last forever. I am a skeptical by nature. We can always do better, and we will always get surpassed.

What I think is that there is a possibility that there is something else than energy in the universe with a causal structure (dependent on matter), maybe emergent wave-space. I am not sure... I don't talk about this because it shouldn't be discussed here, that's why I evaded it from our discussion. There is no vacuum energy, space is emergent.
« Last Edit: 26/09/2013 03:04:57 by CPT ArkAngel »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #51 on: 26/09/2013 04:00:23 »
Quote from: CPT ArkAngel
I have studied it 25 five years ago at undergraduate level that correspond to graduate level for today.
CPT ArkAngel. Would you mind if I asked a few personal questions before we go on? Had previous posters in forums across the internet over the past 15 years not made so many attempts to lie to make themselves appear to be scientists and/or come across as more knowledgeable I wouldn’t even botgher doing this because I would otherwise wouldn't approve of it. But there’s something weird going on here in the way you phrase certain things and make certain comments such as You imply that no information can travel FTL.
and The only thing I say is that you still don't really know if information can really travel FTL and You imply that no information can travel FTL.
. No trained physicist would make such comments. Hence my questions.

You say imply (but don't clearly state) that 25 years ago were you a physics major in a college or university, right? The way you phrased that comment leads one to come to many conclusions but what you didn't say is the simply truth and make it all clear to begin with.

Did you take quantum mechanics in a course at such a college? What is your math background?

I found by myself the possibility of superpositions of waves long time before I read about it.
It’s comments exactly like this that make you come across as suspicious. This sentence is very poorly phrase. So bad to make it appear that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

I am not talking of local but non local hidden variables.
Then please tell me what facts you know and what experiments you can reference regarding non-local hidden variable theories please.

What I think is …
Sorry, but I have no interest in what people in any forum think. People think up the strangest and most bizarre things that bear no resemblance to reality as we know it. When you have something to share about what you can demonstrate then please feel free to share them.
« Last Edit: 26/09/2013 04:15:33 by Pmb »

Offline CPT ArkAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26/09/2013 04:24:37 »
Where I come from you have to do 2 years of college before entering university. So I did physical sciences including 5 physics courses. Then 3 years in Physics at university. Just before ending my bachelorship I switched to electrical engineering, mainly for practical reasons. After practicing electrical engineering, mainly in electronics, I now mainly work in computer sciences and business administration. But first, I have a scientific mind. Where do you think Lee Smolin took his idea of causal sets? He read it here in my theory after I posted a link in the New Scientist magazine a year ago! And he's not the only one. But he was the first to see its value and it is in many ways related to his past years thoughts.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26/09/2013 04:36:03 »
Where I come from …
Where is that?

… you have to do 2 years of college before entering university.
The term “college” has different meanings. What is it that you have to go to before university? Is it anything that has “college” in its name or does it have to fit into some sort of definition?

So I did physical sciences including 5 physics courses. Then 3 years in Physics at university.
5 years to get a bachelor’s degree in physics and then you don’t get the bachelor’s? That sounds odd.

Just before ending my bachelorship I switched to electrical engineering, mainly for practical reasons.
Such as?

Where do you think Lee Smolin took his idea of causal sets?
I don’t know but I’ll e-mail him and ask.

He read it here in my theory..
See? It’s comments exactly like this that make you come across very strange. What could you mean when you say “He read it here in my theory..”? Where’s “here”????

after I posted a link in the New Scientist magazine a year ago! And he's not the only one. But he was the first to see its value and it is in many ways related to his past years thoughts.
I dunno. I’d have to be very gullible to believe all of this.

Offline CPT ArkAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26/09/2013 04:42:53 »
No, there is no majors and minors. After 5 years of high school, you have choice of doing 3 years of college, what we call a technique in French, and go to work or you do 2 years in a specialization before entering university. My specialization at college was physical sciences (what we called pure sciences). Then I did 3 years in Physics at University. The last year was in fact in physics engineering but I had mainly physics courses. In Quebec, there is no cheap school, it is all controlled by government.

Offline CPT ArkAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 26/09/2013 04:49:50 »
I followed him and it was easy to make the link because he said exactly the same things as what I've told to a guy who wrote me an email anonymously...

And he took some of my quotes from the forum.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 26/09/2013 04:50:44 »
No, there is no majors and minors. After 5 years of high school, you have choice of doing 3 years of college, what we call a technique in French, and go to work or you do 2 years in a specialization before entering university. My specialization at college was physical sciences (what we called pure sciences). Then I did 3 years in Physics at University. The last year was in fact in physics engineering but I had mainly physics courses. In Quebec, there is no cheap school, it is all controlled by government.
What textbooks did you use for quantum mechanics?

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 26/09/2013 05:09:46 »
I followed him and it was easy to make the link because he said exactly the same things as what I've told to a guy who wrote me an email anonymously...

And he took some of my quotes from the forum.
Who is "him" and what forum? This one?

Are you saying that Lee Smolin stalked you and then stole some quotes from your writings?

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 26/09/2013 05:10:43 »
I don't remember exactly, but not very good ones. All in English and I was not as good as now in this language.
Which ones are you reading now or use for a reference?

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 26/09/2013 10:52:14 »
Can Causality be violated by say instantaneous quantum entanglement?
As I understand it, initial entanglement is created at a single point in space, at a single point in time.

The entangled particles are always within the light cone of the original point of entanglement.

I assume that the quantum state of the entangled particles cannot affect:
  • any object before the state of the first entangled particle is measured.
  • any object after the state of the last entangled particle is measured (ongoing non-quantum or classical impacts are allowed)
  • ..and by inference it cannot impact anything before the particles were entangled.
Since the state of the entangled particles cannot affect any event prior to the entanglement (or even before the first entangled particle is measured), I would suggest that entanglement would not impact causality.

Since entanglement is created at a single point in space, at a single point in time, this gives a common reference point which is understood by potential observers in all inertial frames of reference. So I would assume that although it may appear to different observers that the entangled particles are measured in a different sequence, all such observers would agree that measurement of the entangled particles does not violate causality.

...but I'm happy to be corrected!
« Last Edit: 26/09/2013 11:24:39 by evan_au »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 26/09/2013 11:30:34 »
...Where do you think Lee Smolin took his idea of causal sets? He read it here in my theory after I posted a link in the New Scientist magazine a year ago!

Cool! can you tell me which issue that was (just the month will do), and where the link was in the magazine? was it in the letters section?
I'd like to have a read of that. Have you a link to Smolin's 'idea of causal sets', or were you referring to his recent paper on an approach to quantum theory based on the energetic causal sets?

You are aware, of course, though, that 'causal set theory' goes back to Rafael Sorkin and colleagues in 1987.
« Last Edit: 26/09/2013 11:40:38 by dlorde »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 26/09/2013 21:33:13 »
...Where do you think Lee Smolin took his idea of causal sets? He read it here in my theory after I posted a link in the New Scientist magazine a year ago!
Cool! can you tell me which issue that was (just the month will do), and where the link was in the magazine? was it in the letters section?
I'd like to have a read of that. Have you a link to Smolin's 'idea of causal sets', or were you referring to his recent paper on an approach to quantum theory based on the energetic causal sets?

You are aware, of course, though, that 'causal set theory' goes back to Rafael Sorkin and colleagues in 1987.
Don't hold your breath. I think I asked him already and my request was met with great anger.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #61 on: 26/09/2013 21:33:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums