The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How fast do ants run?  (Read 4993 times)

Offline annie123

• View Profile
How fast do ants run?
« on: 23/06/2013 02:33:19 »
has anyone measured the speed at which ants run? I tried to catch one unharmed with a small vial - tried to put the vial over the ant. Took forever. I know I could have used a larger jar but i was very surprised how fast the ants could run to get away from the vial opening and how the one i chased seemed to know i was coming. Then I wondered how fast it was running compared to its size etc.Anyone know?
I got it in the end but it will be  a fun thing to get kids to do to see how quick they are compared with the ants.

Offline John Burnap

• Lover of Science
    • View Profile
Re: How fast do ants run?
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2013 03:05:11 »
I suppose it depends on the type of ant. It makes me wonder if you could use CO2 in some form or another to slow them down...

Offline annie123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/06/2013 20:21:23 »
Yes, that's true from a practical pov but it led me to wonder about the larger picture re how fast these creatures do run. Relative to their size, do they compare with cheetas etc?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 24/06/2013 17:07:06 »
Different species of ant do travel at different speeds and different types of ant within a single species may also have differing ablilities. A worker ant, for example, may not have the speed of a soldier ant. Its not just the size of the ant which will determine how fast it can move, it will also have great deal to do with the type of terrain.

I don't think an ant can quite measure up to the likes of a cheetah. The Carpenter ant, one of the larger species, has been measured at approximately 300m per hour. Relative to human size this works out at around 85 kph.

Offline annie123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/06/2013 21:28:30 »
Thanks. That's pretty fast.This ant was very small -3mm. As i said, it seemed to know exactly where I was going to put the opening of the tube above it.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/06/2013 21:41:00 »
The descending vial produces a breeze, which coupled with their 360-degrees vision probably warned the ant that this was not a good place to be walking!

It would be similar to standing under the descending paw of a large animal.

Researchers looking at robotic drones are looking at the eyes and brains of bees and other insects to see how to integrate 360 degree vision into object-avoidance and landing algorithms with low processing load.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 24/06/2013 21:41:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums