The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Help me with my Unnamed Project  (Read 2335 times)

Offline MrMiscreant007

• First timers
    • View Profile
Help me with my Unnamed Project
« on: 24/06/2013 16:38:25 »
Basically I am making a project in which there will be a water wheel, dynamo, wires, battery(minimal use), pipe, water pump, a container, water, small electric bulb. I have not purchased anything yet. I will connect dynamo to the water wheel, the dynamo will also be connected to the water pump and a small electric bulb, water pump will be connected to two things - dynamo and battery. To start the project I will switch on the battery so that the water will be pumped upwards, when water will fall on water wheel it will rotate and dynamo will convert the energy and then it will power the pump and bulb on its own and then I will switch off the Battery so that it is infinitely powered on its own.

Now my question is how much watt of pump, how much volt of dynamo, how much watt of bulb and how much volt of battery i should purchase, so that everything works.

Thanks in advance.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help me with my Unnamed Project
« Reply #1 on: 24/06/2013 16:47:22 »
... I will switch off the Battery so that it is infinitely powered on its own.

That sounds like yet another attempt at a perpetual motion machine which is doomed to failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
« Last Edit: 24/06/2013 16:55:09 by RD »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/08/2013 17:49:54 »
I think you should go for it as long as you understand it will not go forever. It could be interesting to see how long you can get it to last after removing the external power source. Tinkering around with it could be very informative as to how productive energy dissipates from a system.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2013 05:21:23 »
A simpler and more efficient design would be to connect two water wheels together on a common shaft.  No electric motor/generators needed.  One designed to generate power with falling water, and one designed to lift water (or water turbine + pump). 

In an ideal system, your lift water wheel (or pump) would just barely be able to return the water back to the original level. 

However, with an exceptionally efficient water turbine + pump combo, I doubt you'd get better than 80% efficiency or so.  If you started with a large upper reservoir, it may function for some time before that 20% loss would drain all your water.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2013 05:21:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length