The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Whats the current knowledge on the effects of radio waves on the body?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline bigblind

• First timers
    • View Profile
While mobile internet is becoming faster and faster, I still hear a lot of people complaining about mobile network coverage. A lot of those problems could be overcome by placing more cell towers, but olso by bumping up the strength of the waves they emit.

There's been a lot of protest a couple of years ago, when in Belgium (where I live), there were plans to build a cell tower close to a primary school, many parents were concerned about the helth risks for the children. Personally, I'd like to get more clarity on the effects of radio waves, so that we can take precautions if necesary, and otherwise stop inexistant risks from hindering the advancement of technology.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Smaller cells means lower transmit power, and thus lower human exposure.
This is because radiation power follows an inverse-square law with distance (at least for longer distances beyond a few wavelengths), so you need higher power to reach a more distant base station.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
As I understand it, any potential danger comes not from the cell tower, but from the mobile phone, which is held very close to the head, and its field there will be orders of magnitude stronger than you'll get from the cell antennae. The phone also may boost its signal to communicate with distant towers, so as evan_au says, more towers with smaller cells will mean less signal boosting by the phone, and therefore less potential harm. More modern systems are more energy efficient than older ones, so should be potentially less harmful.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums