The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does the brain thrive on the jealousy of others?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
Does the brain thrive on the jealousy of others?
« on: 27/06/2013 11:17:03 »
Main: Does the brain thrive on the jealousy of others? For example, say you have two monkeys and one is given a treat while the other is given nothing (or something bad or not as tasty) and is visibly upset by this. Does the monkey that was given a treat feel any sort of positive chemical reaction in the brain just from knowing another monkey is jealous of him?

Or is the non-jealous monkey going to have a negative brain reaction that will cause him to refuse the treat because the jealous monkey is upset?

Basically, I want to know just how cruel humans are on that level. We're pretty scummy and arrogant as it is, but I've always wondered if we actually evolved to smile harder inside just from knowing there's someone deeply jealous of us. That would almost be impressively cruel nature :{o~

2.) Does the brain suffer damage or abnormalities when jealous? Is the upset monkey going to be less likely to survive in some mental aspect?

3.) Since human history is full of so much fear and jealousy, what is the evolutionary benefit of over-selfconsciousness of insecurities and hyper-awareness of unfairness?

4.) Is jealousy deeply embedded into the nature of all/most living things (primates in particular), or is it only as much of a mess a culture makes it/allows it to be?
« Last Edit: 29/06/2013 12:58:51 by ConfusedHermit »

Offline Europan Ocean

• View Profile
Re: Does the brain thrive on jealousy?
« Reply #1 on: 27/06/2013 14:15:42 »
I think it is deeply embedded as a fault in the sense of fairness. It causes a lot of theft and grief.

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
Re: Does the brain thrive on the jealousy of others?
« Reply #2 on: 28/06/2013 21:51:16 »
Thanks for posting, Europan Ocean :{D~

Nature doesn't really care about fairness. As for my four questions, I'd be grateful if anyone could answer them or provide some research they've read about. I've looked those questions up and haven't found anything, sadly :[

Most of the search results I'm getting are 'why jealousy is bad' and 'jealousy is a natural response.'

Edit:
Eh, I'll just strike out my other questions and hope someone here can answer the first.
That's the one I'm most interested in :{D~
« Last Edit: 29/06/2013 00:50:59 by ConfusedHermit »

Offline Europan Ocean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2013 11:06:21 »
I watched a documentary about this in the eighties, about the US new modern culture and keeping up with the Joneses.

Offline galaxysim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2013 22:33:13 »
Its a little complex.

Dominance ramp up might come into play here.

Reward for sweetie + reward for winning = I am dominant , i do dominance display = don't bother challenge me = colony harmony + 1

The world is complex, displays of arrogance, dominance, selfishness and jealousy are part and parcel of focusing our brains and simplifying the situation.

With social animals competitive traits are at odds with co operative traits....parasitic behavior is good for the individual but bad for the colony.

Jealousy could be seen as a selfish trait....but its also a co operative trait....if jealousy leads to violence or sabotage then it forces the winner (who might be blindly selfish ) to consider sharing a little of their victory if only for the sake of keeping the peace.

Needless to say the amount of computation and real world reliable data our brains have to go on to 'solve' these issues is seldom adequate for an optimum solution. We are grunts by design and sometimes this leads to our undoing in straightforward or complex ways

Even a quick glance at the brain reveals dozens if not hundreds of complex modules, macro and micro behaviors all competing and co operating.....you cant really get to the core without wading through the spaghetti that is the reality of the human mind.

How does the Windows operating system work....well the brain is certainly up there with that level of complexity. Even Billgates is going to struggle with the technicalities when pressed.

As only 1% of your brain has anything remotely to do with you being you then its no surprise that brains are not smart enough to understand themselves...In order to understand a human brain it would help if you had a brain that was 100 times bigger.

" how do you work then " , said the Calculator to the Mainframe
« Last Edit: 04/07/2013 22:45:04 by galaxysim »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2013 22:33:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums