The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Whites..whiter than white !!..Yeah Right !!  (Read 10741 times)

ROBERT

Re: Whites..whiter than white !!..Yeah Right !!
« Reply #25 on: 21/07/2006 15:41:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by moonfire

For ink my friend, use alcohol to get it out

Be careful using flammable liquids to clean clothes:-

"  Man puts gasoline into washing machine, lands in hospital

A man was injured by an explosion after he put gasoline instead of detergent into a washing machine, police said.

The explosion Saturday blew off the door to a laundry room in the man's apartment in the Summit-University neighborhood, Deputy Chief Mike Hogan said. There was no damage to the six apartment units in the building or other injuries.

The 49-year-old man had what appeared to be second-degree burns on up to 5 percent of his lower legs, Hogan said. Paramedics took him to Regions Hospital.

Described by neighbors as a "backyard mechanic," the man was using gasoline to wash his grease-soaked clothes for some reason and "didn't think anything of it," Hogan said. The hot water heater or another source ignited a fire that led to the explosion, he said."
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=126338

« Last Edit: 21/07/2006 15:42:10 by ROBERT »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #26 on: 21/07/2006 18:38:13 »
I just use it on my clothes and never had a problem with this...of course, I am only dabbing the mark and washing it with water...it may make a difference

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22/07/2006 20:10:30 »
So Neil. This tip is not for ink, but for car grease, oil ect.

You go into your lovely Kitchen and get down your can of shotening, prefereably plain white vegetable shortening. Then you take some of that and rub it into the grease spot very vell. then you tak a tongue depreesor or dull side od a butter knife and carefully scrape the shorteninto further into the fabric. then use the same tongue depresser or knife to scrape off the grease as if you were taking butter off the bread. Do not scrape overly hard and damage your fabric. you may have to repeat this depending on the severeity of the grease stain. Now wash the garment in the hottest water safe for said garment after you have removed excess shortening which also pulls the grease out with it. You will be amazed that it comes out! If after wash you still see you missed some, do not dy in dryer yet! repeat procedure untill it is gone, then Dry the item, as you don't want to set the stain. Works good. Toothpaste works great on painted walls with some inks and crayon!.....Karen

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22/07/2006 20:11:55 »
So Neil. This tip is not for ink, but for car grease, oil ect.

You go into your lovely Kitchen and get down your can of shotening, prefereably plain white vegetable shortening. Then you take some of that and rub it into the grease spot very vell. then you tak a tongue depreesor or dull side od a butter knife and carefully scrape the shorteninto further into the fabric. then use the same tongue depresser or knife to scrape off the grease as if you were taking butter off the bread. Do not scrape overly hard and damage your fabric. you may have to repeat this depending on the severeity of the grease stain. Now wash the garment in the hottest water safe for said garment after you have removed excess shortening which also pulls the grease out with it. You will be amazed that it comes out! If after wash you still see you missed some, do not dy in dryer yet! repeat procedure untill it is gone, then Dry the item, as you don't want to set the stain. Works good. Toothpaste works great on painted walls with some inks and crayon!.....Karen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 22/07/2006 20:11:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums