The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What would happen to TV transmissions at lightspeed?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
asked the Naked Scientists:

Einstein's theory of relativity describes how time seems to go slower at near light speed.

But, if I were to be inside a train that goes at the speed of light (impossible, i know) and i had a TV screen to see my other 'twin' that is observing me from outside, would he see me like "heeeellllllooooooooo bbbbrrroooooottthhhhheeerrrrr" like really slow? and, if that is true, then would I see him really fast?

Ff both are true, wouldn't the train no longer be travelling at the speed of light because it has to make everything slow, hence also travelling slower? Wouldn't this be a paradox?

Thanks.

Hisham Forster

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 24/12/2013 18:23:21 by _system »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Re: What would happen to TV transmissions at lightspeed?
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2013 03:40:25 »
Quote from: thedoc
But, if I were to be inside a train that goes at the speed of light (impossible, i know) Ö
What I donít understand is why people who know that relativity states that nothing can move at the speed of light would ask a question about something moving at the speed of light and act as if the question was meaningful. So why would you ask a question which you know is meaningless?
Quote from: thedoc
Ff ..
Why on earth do you think anybody would know what Ff means?

The answer to your question is that the entire question is meaningless. Youíve asked about what would happen if the impossible happens and everyone knows thatís a meaningless question. And please don't use terms which are undefined or only understood by certain people.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2013 03:43:46 by Pmb »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2013 05:20:08 »
Let's say you were traveling 1m/s slower than the speed of light while making your historic broadcast...

Your brother outside the train would see your broadcast slowed down dramatically; the frequency of your TV transmission would be reduced, more than you would expect from Doppler shift alone. The frequency of your voice would be reduced.

However, if your brother outside of the train then made a broadcast back to you, the frequency of his TV transmission would be reduced, more than you would expect from Doppler shift alone. The frequency of his voice would also be reduced.

ie, you would each think that time was running more slowly for the other person. This is one of the apparent paradoxes that happen with Relativity.

(Note: this assumes you are using some old-fashioned form of analogue modulation for your TV transmissions, despite your obviously hi-tech train!)

Offline starbuck1963

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2013 03:13:42 »
It would still be boring

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2013 15:46:02 »
Why on earth do you think anybody would know what Ff means?

Lit hem who is withuot typos cost the farst stane. :)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hear the answer to this question on our show
« Reply #5 on: 24/12/2013 21:24:05 »
We discussed this question on our  show
Transcript to follow...
Click to visit the show page for the podcast in which this question is answered. Alternatively, listen to the answer now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 01/01/1970 01:00:00 by _system »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/12/2013 14:55:02 »
The screen would be filled with endless repeats of The Great Escape, The Sound of Music, Morecambe & Wise, Andy Williams, The African Queen....Good heavens! It's happening right now!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 25/12/2013 14:55:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums