The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What could cause appetite loss?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What could cause appetite loss?
« on: 30/07/2013 01:30:01 »
ralph.lind asked the Naked Scientists:

I was diagnosed with an ulcer three years ago, have lost 47kg up to now, got no appetite! I started getting anxiety attacks, cold and then burning feelings over my body, blood pressure shoots up high, pin pricks over my body and itchy feeling! I also lost my taste ans smell a few years ago! I never get hungry!

I was told to go for that camera thingie, but I'm terrified of these hospitals and doctors!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 30/07/2013 01:30:01 by _system »

Offline healthresearch

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What could cause appetite loss?
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2013 20:30:59 »
Loss of appetite and weight and itchy skin may be symptoms of intestinal parasites. Initial tests would include blood and stool tests. It sounds less likely that these symptoms arise from a stomach disorder so the upper endoscopy would not likely be the first recommended investigation.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/08/2013 00:00:43 »
ralph.lind asked the Naked Scientists:

I was diagnosed with an ulcer three years ago, have lost 47kg up to now, got no appetite! I started getting anxiety attacks, cold and then burning feelings over my body, blood pressure shoots up high, pin pricks over my body and itchy feeling! I also lost my taste ans smell a few years ago! I never get hungry!

Uncontrolled diabetes could explain a combination of significant unintentional weight loss, parasthesia and hypertension.

"Brittle" diabetes can cause brief episodes of endogenous [non-iatrogenic] hypoglycaemia : this could be mistaken for a "panic attack" but would be detectable via a blood-glucose measurement taken at the time of the attack, (person would experience extreme hunger during hypoglycaemia ).

The nerve damage which is associated with diabetes could cause anosmia ...
https://www.google.com/search?q="diabetic+neuropathy"+anosmia
« Last Edit: 25/08/2013 00:49:03 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 25/08/2013 00:00:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums