The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the potential for solar power in fuelling transport?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
A Cambridge team test the limits of solar power as they prepare to race a car across the Australian outback fueled only by the sun's energy
Read a transcript of the interview by clicking here

or Listen to it now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 15/07/2013 20:43:35 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Interesting.  I had wondered about solar tracking in a vehicle. 

The multi-junction cells actually are supposed to work better with concentrated sunlight.  I wonder if there would be benefits of adding Fresnel lenses to the array, which might also allow making a smaller, and thus cheaper array.

I like the idea of long-distance solar vehicles, but I do think the largest benefit will be local hops, driving the car to work in the morning, letting it sit in the sun all day, then driving back home in the evening.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
the largest benefit will be local hops, driving the car to work in the morning, letting it sit in the sun all day, then driving back home in the evening.
Will there come a time when drivers will pay a premium for parking bays that remain unshaded all day long, eh!*

NB: not in the UK, I suspect.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I find that the top level of car parks are often emptier than lower levels.
Solar vehicles may reverse that trend.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Of course, the other option is to have fixed solar panels, and plug the vehicle in, and thus much less emphasis on carrying the panels around everywhere.  Then, in the car-parks, one can shade the vehicles with the solar arrays.  Not that we have an excess of renewable electricity, so one can always just feed the grid.

Anyway, I like the Cambridge concept of a smaller solar vehicle with solar tracking high efficiency cells.  Just don't toss a bag of groceries onto the $200K solar array.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length