The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is someone who starts sweating sooner fitter?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Is someone who starts sweating sooner fitter?
« on: 05/08/2013 12:18:54 »
Who is more fit: the person who starts sweating as soon as they begin to exercise, or the person who barely breaks a sweat? The former may be thermo-regulating better than the latter, but the latter would seem to be unaffected by the exercise?

Asked by Jon

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.

...or Listen to the Answer or [download as MP3]

« Last Edit: 05/08/2013 12:18:54 by _system »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is someone who starts sweating sooner fitter?
« Reply #1 on: 18/07/2013 03:53:14 »
Interesting question.  I like to think of myself as very fit (I'm an avid runner) and with the heat wave we've been having in the northeast US, I've been leaving puddles of sweat on the sidewalk when I stop to stretch after my runs.  I looked this up and apparently people who are more fit sweat more as their bodies are well-conditioned to sweat profusely to keep body temperature down.  (Supposedly they also lose less sodium in their sweat.)  Men sweat more than women, as there also seems to be a link to testosterone and quantity of sweat:

« Reply #2 on: 22/06/2014 11:49:53 »
I landed here because I personally noticed a huge difference in how quickly I start to sweat when I am fit compared to when I'm not particularly fit. After reading your answer, I'm still unsure of why this happens. I thought maybe I exert myself more, which is true, but that is only true overall. In the beginning of a run, for e.g., at the same pace (just over 4.30), I definitely sweat less when I'm not fit, for the first 10 minutes even. The difference in my athletic performance is not the pace at which I run; it's how long I can sustain it.
Perhaps it would be easier for studies to come to a more accurate conclusion if the did comparative studies on the same people at various degrees of fitness rather than to compare against different people with varying degrees of fitness.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 22/06/2014 11:49:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums