The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are Memories only for Humans?  (Read 992 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Are Memories only for Humans?
« on: 18/07/2013 23:30:02 »
New research suggests that chimps have an episodic memory for tasks they did three years ago.
Read the whole story on our website by clicking here
  or Listen to the Story or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 18/07/2013 23:30:02 by _system »

Offline JaJaNon-Scientist

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Are Memories only for Humans?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2013 08:50:19 »
My cat has got memory too.When I go to kitchen she comes because when I go there I fill her bowl :D

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2013 12:47:46 »
Two major functions of a brain are to predict (and control) the future.
  • To the extent that events happening in the future echo events that happened in the past, it is just sensible for a brain to remember events that happened in the past. This allows some control over the outcome of an event by repeating the previous action, or perhaps to change the outcome by selecting an alternative action.
  • Surely, this capability makes sense for all species, provided they can support the increased metabolic load of a larger brain.
  • However, sometimes the environment changes, and earlier events are no longer a good guide to the future. So it makes sense that every time an event recurs, the outcome of that event is re-evaluated, and potentially a different outcome stored for future reference.
  • For humans, we know that recalling an event can also make the memory malleable.
  • Both humans and animals recall events during dreaming, which may be a way of reinforcing or weakening old memories.
  • It's just harder to ask an animal about its experiences...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2013 12:47:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums