The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes a tabby-haired human?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What causes a tabby-haired human?
« on: 24/07/2013 04:30:01 »
Anonymous asked the Naked Scientists:

I wanted to let you know that I read thru the postings about genetic natural multi colored hair.

I have to tell you, our son DOES have naturally occurring spots of different colors in his hair. 

We noted it when he was younger (maybe 10 or 12) and it appears that as he has gotten older that the amount of his head affected is larger, basically from around his left ear to the nape of his neck, but only on the left side of his head. 

He had blond hair as a young child, but now has some blond patches, some red patches, some dirty blond patches and some brown patches, actually looking like a leopard (as my husband calls him). 

Our son is now 26 years old.  We started asking our hair dresser about it when she would cut his hair (as when it's longer you don't notice it so much); she said she'd not seen anyone with that type of hair growth. 

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 24/07/2013 04:30:01 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What causes a tabby-haired human?
« Reply #1 on: 24/07/2013 06:26:13 »
It is possible that your son is a Chimera, or Mosaic  which would mean that he would essentially have DNA from two different sources.  I believe it is relatively rare, but it does occur in humans.  A DNA test might be able to confirm it, but not a simple cheek swap.  Perhaps taking hair and roots from different patches on the scalp.  Your physician should be able to tell you about labs that could do the testing.  I wonder if a local university or medical school would be interested????  Could they do the testing for free?

Chemotherapy and radiation therapy can also cause hair to be patchy, but you don't mention that in your history.
« Last Edit: 24/07/2013 06:34:51 by CliffordK »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2013 06:43:18 »
It is possible that your son is a Chimera, or Mosaic  which would mean that he would essentially have DNA from two different sources.  I believe it is relatively rare, but it does occur in humans.

e.g.  ...

http://saac.chu-sainte-justine.org/pages/blaschko%20lines-%20schaffer.pdf   [page 24]
« Last Edit: 24/07/2013 07:12:21 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2013 06:43:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length